Saturday, January 14, 2017

From Birmingham Jail stage play script featuring the words of Martin Luther King Jr

FROM BIRMINGHAM JAIL

by D. M. Larson

(using selections from Martin Luther King, Jr.)

Copyright © 2002

All Rights Reserved*


Cast of Characters
PRISONERS (parts can be doubled), GIRL, POLICE OFFICER, and DR. KING

Scene 1
(Lights come up on jail. Several criminals are in
their cells. They are scattered around the stage,
all in despair)
SONG: reflecting unhappy jail setting such as DEEP RIVER
(Piano still plays during following movement:
Enter police officer and DR. KING. One prison
sees them enter and watches as KING is placed in
solitary confinement. Prisoner 2113 is shocked at
seeing KING in jail. In pantomime, KING asked
OFFICER for pen and paper. OFFICER reluctantly
nods and exits. KING is alone and sits.)
[Note: each prisoner’s character has a number and
not a name]
2113
(Turns to other prisoner)
You know who I saw?
6322
What?
2113
I saw Dr. King.
5341
You saw who?
2113
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
3442
Here?
9112
No way. You're crazy. Dr. King wouldn't be here.
2113
But I saw him.
4306
I think you've been in here a little too long.
2113
But I swear I did.
8132
Give it a rest, will you.
2113
He's here. I'd know that man anywhere. So tall and proud. At least in pictures. He looks kind of sad now.
 
6322
I would be too if I were in jail.

(Prisoners laugh)
2113
Go ahead and laugh. I know what I saw. Laugh all you want. I'm not talking to you all anymore.

(2113 goes off alone)
(Piano still plays while OFFICER bring KING pen
and paper. Music fades when KING begins to write)
KING
"My dear fellow Clergymen, while confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I [remembered] your recent statement calling our present activities 'unwise and untimely.' Seldom, if ever, do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas...But since I feel that you are men of genuine good will...I would like to answer your statement..."
(KING goes silent. 2113 and 6322 are watching)
6322
What's he doing?
2113
Writing a letter I think.
6322
What for?
2133
Shhh. Listen.
KING
"I think I should give the reason for my being in Birmingham...Several months ago our local affiliate here in Birmingham invited us to be on call to engage in a nonviolent direct-action program...So I am here, along with several members of my staff, because we were invited here. Beyond this, I am in Birmingham because injustice is here...I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. Never again shall we afford to live with the narrow, provincial `outsider agitator' idea. Anyone who lives in the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere in this country.

Read the full play script at: http://freedrama.net/jail.html

From Birmingham Jail stage play script featuring the words of Martin Luther King Jr

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.