Saturday, July 8, 2017

Flowers in the Desert Part 10 family friendly version of stage play script

FLOWERS IN THE DESERT
PART 10


JAMIE
Are things always like this around here?


(SAM sighs and decides Jamie is ok. She tries to open up a little and be nice)


SAM
Yes, most of the time.


JAMIE
It must be hard.


SAM
It's better than nothing. At least we have a place to live.


JAMIE
What do you mean? People always have some place to live.


SAM
Are you sure we're living on the same planet? Haven't you heard of the homeless?


JAMIE
Yes, but they're just junkies and stuff. You never see kids homeless.


SAM
You don't get out much do you?


JAMIE
What do you mean?


SAM
Nothing.


JAMIE
No, come on. Tell me.


SAM
Okay, I'll tell you. Homeless kids aren't homeless because they want to be. Homeless kids are usually ones that aren't wanted. Either their parents died or they left them. Oh, sure there's foster homes but they don't really want you either. If they did, why would they keep getting rid of me? I didn't always have a home. I lived on the streets a little while. And surprise, there were lots of kids there with me. People never thought we were homeless even though we weren't dressed nice. Kids never dress nice anyway. And sometimes we'd even get a five finger discount on something nice from a store. That's how I got caught. I hadn't been out there very long when they got me. Some kids are out there forever. They learn how to survive. I didn't. They gave me a choice. Come here to the Happy Rancher or go to jail. Sarge even came down to visit with me.


(Softens)


He told me about the Happy Rancher and despite the stupid name it sounded kinda cool. And he did something most people never did for me. He asked me what I wanted. He really wanted to know what he could help me do for myself. I just broke down and cried. It seemed like I cried forever.  I'd finally found someone who cared.


(Realizes she's just spilled her guts to a stranger and makes a total turn around)


SAM (CONT.)
Oh, man, what am I saying. You must think I'm a total dork.
 
(Laughs)


Real sob story, huh?  It wasn't that big of deal.


JAMIE
Sam, you don't have to put on an act for me. I'm glad you shared that with me.


SAM
Don't get all mushy on me okay?



GO TO MAIN MENU

Purchase a low cost PDF of the full play at http://www.currclick.com/product/105534/Flowers-in-the-Desert


No comments:

Post a Comment