Saturday, July 8, 2017

Flowers in the Desert Part 24 family friendly version of stage play script

FLOWERS IN THE DESERT
PART 24
PAULA
(Runs out)
FIRE!
SHELLY
What?
PAULA
(Stops. Smiles pleasantly)
Oh, hi, Shelly.
SARGE
Paula! What fire?
PAULA
(Remembers. Gets upset)
Sam started a fire.


(SAM and JAMIE run out)
SAM
(Excited)
Did you see that?!
(Makes explosion sound)
Foooom!


JAMIE
(Sarcastic)
Yeah, Sam, it was great.
SARGE
Where's Ma?
JAMIE
(Worried)
I don't know.


(MA appears and is black from the smoke)
SARGE
Are you okay?
MA
Yes.
(They are try not to laugh, but it's hard not to. MA does look funny)
Sam?
SAM
(Trying not to laugh)
Yes?


MA
Is it okay if I make breakfast?
SAM
Sure, Ma.
MA
Thank you.


(MA exits inside)
PAULA
(To TINA and SHELLY)
You've gotta see this.


(PAULA, TINA, and SHELLY rush inside)
JAMIE
I told you not to flip the bacon like that.
SAM
Okay, I made a mistake. So sue me.
SARGE
I’m getting really tired of your attitude, Sam. I have defended you again and again, but this crazy behavior has to stop. You could have burned the house down! You could have hurt someone. You could have hurt my wife… and if something happened to her… I don’t know what I would do. Start thinking about things a little more, Sam. You’re almost an adult. You need to start acting like one, once in awhile. We better help Ma clean up.


(SARGE goes in)
SAM
I don't think Ma really wants to see me right now.


(JAMIE stops when she sees tears in SAM’s eyes. SAM mummbles to herself)


SAM (CONT.)
Why do I always do this?
JAMIE
(Goes to her)
Do what?
SAM
Mess things up.
(Pause)
I get something good then I mess it up.
(Kicks something handy)
I always have to go and spoil things for people. I just try to have a little fun... but... I don't know when to stop. I keep playing... like a little kid who tells a funny joke over and over. They keep saying it 'cause it was funny once so it should be funny a bunch of times. Then when it's not funny anymore, they don't know how to quit. They keep trying, hoping it will still be funny. They keep on joking until someone gets mad and... hurts you.
(Pause)
I'm always playing games. I can't stop.
(She has trouble speaking)
I... can't... stop.
(JAMIE wants to say something but doesn't know what. MA appears at screen door. Girls don't see MA. SAM gains control again)
I always hurt someone. My daddy left because of me.
(Sees JAMIE's reaction)


SAM (CONT.)
He did. I found a letter he wrote my mama. He said he didn't want to be tied down by a kid.
(Chokes)
Mama said it was for the best.
(Sad)
But I ran Mama off too. She had better things to do than to sit around playing my games.
(Looks at house)
And I'm still playing my little games. I should have listened to you, Jamie. You got a good head. You stopped playing games when you were two or three I bet. Adults always like you... Me? I get 'em to like to hate me. Get 'em so worked up they want nothing but to have me gone.
JAMIE
(After long pause)
Oh, Sam. I'm sorry.
SAM
(Laughs over crying)
Sorry? Don't be sorry. You gotta admit, I do it well.
JAMIE
Don't be so hard on yourself, Sam. You're a good person. People like you.
SAM
Just drop it, Jamie.
(Sits. Trying to control her crying)
I'm sure you've got better things to do.


(JAMIE doesn't know what to do. SAM looks away)


SAM (CONT.)
I wanna be alone.


(JAMIE nods and exit R)


MA
(Comes out)
Sam. Can we talk now?
(SAM is silent)
I can't lie and say I'm not angry. What you did wasn't very nice. Something like this can hurt a lot of people. It could hurt me, it could hurt Sarge, and it could hurt you.
(MA sits by SAM)
But it doesn't mean I don't love you anymore.
SAM
(Gets up)
Why do you have to talk so much?
(Turns. Angry)
Can't you get it over with! Can't you punish me and be done with it!
(Turns away)
I hate all this talk. It doesn't get us anywhere.


MA
Sam. I think you've punished yourself more than I ever could.
SAM
I... I can't.
MA
You have to learn to face your troubles, Sam. I can't always be around to clean up after you.
SAM
You must hate me.
MA
He won't hate you, Sam. None of us hate you.
SAM
But I'm so awful. I almost destroyed our home. Made us homeless again.


MA
Again?


SAM
I don’t want to lose you… any of you…
MA
There's nothing you could do that would make us stop loving you. We might be angry, we might yell and scream, but we'd never stop loving you.


(MA hugs SAM. SAM reluctantly lets her)


END OF SCENE



GO TO MAIN MENU (& CAST LIST)

Purchase a low cost PDF of the full play at http://www.currclick.com/product/105534/Flowers-in-the-Desert


No comments:

Post a Comment