Friday, February 20, 2015

"Love at the International Fusion Cafe" comedy script for four to six actors - PG13 version

I wrote this for my wife for Valentine's day this year.  Some of this has actually happened to us and draws from our real life wacky experiences.

This is the original PG-13 version of the script.  For a PG version, click here: http://freedramaplays.blogspot.com/2015/02/love-at-international-fusion-cafe.html

Waiters can be either gender and even be two actors doing multiple costumes

****

"Love at the International Fusion Cafe"
by D. M. Larson

Mario leads Mel and Nell to a table in the restaurant.

Mario
Welcome to the International Fusion Cafe where we bring a tour of the world to your taste buds. Have you ever dined with us before?

Mel
I have. She hasn't.

Mario
Let me enlighten the seƱorita to our ways.

Nell
This isn't some weird cult you are making me join is it?

Mel
You wanted unique. I am giving you the unique-est.

Mario
This is like a buffet but instead of you getting your foods, we bring the foods to you.

(He gets a plate)

Mario (CONT.)
We will bring some food like so.... I call it "That's a spicy meatball!" And if you like it, we serve it to you.

Nell
Interesting... Lay some meatballs on me Mario.

Mario
You sir?

Mel
Cows and I don't get along. I will pass.

Mario
It may not be cows in the meatball. I'm not sure.

Nell
You don't know? I will pass too. Don't bother sending Luigi with any mushrooms. I hate those too.

(Mario leaves in a huff)

Mel
Weird eh?

(Batman appears)

Nell
No, not at all.

Batman
Would the lady enjoy some fried bat wings?

Nell
Ewwww... No.

Mel
They're chicken wings...

(Batman gives him some)

Mel
At least I think so.

Batman
They taste like chicken.

Nell
Fine. I will nibble on a bat wing or two. I can pretend I am Ozzy Osborne.

Mel
They should call it the Ozzy special.

Nell
I thought you didn't like Ozzy...

Mel
Not really...

Nell
Why won't you give my music a chance?

Mel
Ozzy isn't music. It's noise.

Nell
Hey!

Mel
Just kidding... And besides, aren't you too young to like ozzy?

Nell
I like the classics. The Doors, Pink Floyd.

(Mel rolls his eyes)

Nell
Don't roll your eyes at Pink Floyd. I am trying your bizarre restaurant.

(A mime passes through being pulled on an invisible rope. Nell stands up)

Nell (Cont.)
You better try my music... Or I am leaving.

Mel
Sit down. I will listen to your music. I promise.

(Nell looks very pleased with herself and sits)

Nell
Good.

Mel
Why do you do that?

Nell
What?

Mel
Pretend to throw a fit to get your way. I thought you were serious.

Nell
I was serious.

Mel
Was that really worth making a scene about?

Nell
Maybe. It was fun.

Mel
For you maybe.

Nell
You need to lighten up. That's my mission in life. To lighten your load.

Mel
You do actually.

Nell
Really?

Mel
Yeah.

Nell
Tell me about it.

Mel
Huh?

Nell
Share with me. Open up. Tell me what you like about me.

Mel
Here? Now?

Nell
Now... Or the mime gets it.

(Points an imaginary weapon at mime as he approaches)

Mel
Crossbow! Nice.

(Mime lowers her imaginary weapon and holds out a covered plate)

Nell
French food maybe?

(Mime nods and opens dish. It's empty)

Mel
Oh good. Its their low calorie menu.

(Mime does a silent laugh and gets a real plate)

Nell
French bread?

(Mime nods)

Nell
How clever.

(They both take some. Mel is looking at Nell in a dreamy state)

Nell
Okay, what are you thinking?

(Mel gets embarrassed)

Mel
Oh no, I can't.

Nell
If you want this relationship to work I need some open and honest communication.

Mel
What I was thinking would be a little too open and honest.

Nell
Try me.

Mel
It's embarrassing.

Nell
Tell me now!

(She points her imaginary crossbow at him)

Mel
Well... Umm... Mimes are from France...

Nell
Uh huh.

Mel
And I was thinking you'd look nice in something French.

Nell
This is good... Like what?

Mel
This is really embarrassing.

Nell
Come on... Please.

Mel
You'll think I'm a pervert.

Nell
I know you're a pervert - now tell me!

Mel
I was thinking you'd look good dressed as a French maid.

Nell
What?! Oh my!

Mel
I told you it was bad.

Nell
I'd do it.

Mel
Huh?

Nell
I would dress as a French maid for you.

(Mel gets a little too excited)

Mel
You would! I mean... You would?

Nell
Maybe... If you say something nice to me.

Mel
I think a lot of nice things...

Nell
Then say them to me.

Mel
I get shy.

Nell
I know and that's so cute. Damn you.

Mel
Ok... Something nice. Here goes...

(Clown enters)

Clown
'Ello governor

(Mel jumps)

Mel
Ah! When did you guys get a clown?

Clown
I'm new.

Nell
You're not very... Silly.

Clown
I am one of them sad clowns.

Nell
Sad indeed.

Clown
Quite.

Mel
Why are you British?

Clown
Cause clowns originated in England. The first clown was portrayed by Joseph Grimaldi in the early 1800s...

Nell
You clowns tell the funniest stories.

Mel
You got any good to go with your delightful history lesson?

Clown
Fish and chips.

Nell
Do the British eat anything else?

Clown
Not really ma'am, no.

(Clown leaves)

Nell
A very sad clown indeed... And your not off the hook. Share some feelings.... Now!

Mel
Ok... Uh... Well...

Nell
Oh never mind. Don't hurt yourself.

Mel
I really want to... I really do... You mean a lot to me and I want you to know that. I mean I have never been so happy in my life. You have made everything so much better. I look forward to every day I get to be with you. I want to tell you all that. I just can't seem to do it.

Nell
You just did.

(She sits on his lap and gives him a hug and a kiss)

Mel
I am very happy now too.

Nell
I can tell.

Mel
How embarrassing.

Nell
Is that guy in the kilt serving haggis?

Mel
Haggis! Awesome. The national food of Scotland. You're Scottish aren't you? How come you never wear a kilt?

Nell
You'd like that huh? But that means I would be a guy.

Mel
I wouldn't like that.

Nell
I have always wanted to go to Scotland. Wouldn't that be a great place for out honeymoon?

Mel
What?

Nell
Scotland... Travel... Fun.

Mel
No, the other part.

Nell
What?

Mel
You said our honeymoon.

Nell
I did?

Mel
Yes.

Nell
No, I didn't.

Mel
Little early to be talking about honeymoons... We haven't even discussed weddings yet... Or engagements.

Nell
Can we talk about something else?

Mel
Uh... Ok... I mean... I don't mind talking about it but if you don't want to.

Nell
I don't.

(Silence. Mime comes by with food... He tries to get their attention with invisible flowers but they are quiet and ignore him. He tries harder but Nell takes his invisible flowers he is playing with, wads then in to a ball and throws them. He leaves in frustration)

Nell
I am curious though...

Mel
Yes?

Nell
Would you marry me?

Mel
Are you proposing?

Nell
What? No!

Mel
But you said "would you marry me?"

Nell
Stop putting words in my mouth.

Mel
I wouldn't say no.

Nell
Really?

Mel
Really.

Nell
Oh.

Mel
Yeah.

Nell
Wanna go back to my place?

Mel
Yes.

Nell
Let's go.

(Mime comes up and stops them and holds out an invisible bill. Mel takes out an invisible check book. Writes the check, rips it out and gives invisible check to mime. They wave at him and they leave. He is sad and does a silent fit. Nell returns and shoots him with her invisible cross bow. Mime falls down dead)

Mel
If a tree falls in the Forest and falls on a mime, does anyone care?

Nell
That's deep.

Mel
Quite.

Nell
So would you wear a kilt for me?

Mel
If you dress as a French maid.

(They laugh. Batman goes up to the mime)

Batman
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

END

****

Find more free short scripts at http://www.freedrama.net/short.html

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.