Thursday, November 19, 2015

Background on the play Flowers in the Desert by D. M. Larson

I often get questions about my play "Flowers in the Desert"  (ISBN-13: 978-1494806217so here is a little bit on the inspiration for the play:

Flowers in the Desert is based on my grandparents experiences running a group home for troubled youth. The characters in the script, especially Ma and Sarge, are based on real people.  Some of the moments in the script are based on stories they told me.

Their group home was in Washington State and they worked with youth in the 1960s and 70s.  I started writing this play in the 1990s and have changes the time period and setting many times from Washington to Idaho to New Mexico and from the 70s to the present. I don't think the setting or time period is important. It's really about their experiences and feelings that matters.

This is one of my favorite plays I've written because of that special connection to my grandparents. I really hope this play keep their memory alive and captures the spirit of how amazing they were.

Read the entire play at http://freedrama.net/flowersfull.html



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.