Friday, October 28, 2016

Radiant Talent monologue from published stage play comedy Somebody Famous

“RADIANT TALENT”
by D. M. Larson

BRENDA
That local theatre reviewer is an idiot. He wouldn’t know a play if a stage fell on him.

(Looks at review in newspaper)

Wait. This review is really good.

(Reads)

“Brenda Star lives up to her name. Her radiant talent brightens this otherwise ordinary play.”

(Takes paper)

This is so great! My agent will go nuts. We better go get a copy of the paper so I can show my agent. Wait a minute. This smells like a set up. Wasn’t that awfully good timing? Madame Mooch says I’m going to be famous and then this person comes in here and acts like I’m some new star.

(Pauses and listens to her friend)

You’re right. How could she fake that newspaper review? It’s a coincidence. That’s all.

(Cell phone rings)

Hello? Hi, Gina.

(To friend)

It’s my agent. I’ll bet she saw the review.

BRENDA (CONT.)

(To Phone)

Yeah, I read it.

(Pause)

Very good.

(Shocked)

What?

(Pause)

No way.

(Waves away friend who is trying to talk to her)

Shhhh.

(To phone)

Sorry, my friend is talking to me.

(Pause)

Yes, let’s do it.

(Looks around)

I hate to admit this, but I’m at some psychic reading place.

(Picks up brochure)

BRENDA (CONT.)

Madame Mooch…

(Pause)

You know her?

(To friend)

My agent’s been here.

(Pause)

Sure I’ll wait for her here.

(Hangs up phone)

You won’t believe this. Somebody is filming a movie in town and they saw my show last night. They want me to be in their movie. Gina said there are some big stars in it too. One of them had a scheduling conflict and can’t come. Gina’s sending the casting director over to see me now. They need somebody immediately and want me to do it.

(Stops)

This can’t be happening. Where is that Madame Money?  Come out, Madame! I want a word with you. I know how these stories go. Remember that story the Monkey’s Paw? At first, everything is great. You get everything you wish for, then the bottom drops out. Don’t be mad, Heather. I’m sorry. I have to admit there might be something beyond my comprehension going on here.

BRENDA (CONT.)

(Calls out)

Madame Mooch. I need a word with you. I wonder why she isn’t reappearing?

(Pulls out money)

I’m not speaking her language.

(Waves bill)

I have something green for you.

END OF MONOLOGUE



****



Copyright (c) 2016

From "Somebody Famous" by D. M. Larson is a comedy stage play script for 5 women and 2 men now available from Amazon.com. ISBN-13: 978-1539753483

Buy a low cost PDF of this play on Sellfy.com



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.