Friday, December 16, 2016

"Nightwalker" dramatic monologue by D. M. Larson

"Nightwalker"
by D. M. Larson

It's a chilly night. The freezing wind bites at every exposed part of my body. Most were huddled in a small cafe near the bus station.  They seemed happy with their coffee and warmth, thankful for a dime a cup deal.  As I got near them, they got quiet.  Puffs of smoke divided our worlds, each of us isolated in our thoughts. The cold kept me moving.

After I passed, I noticed a lady coming out of hiding near the cafe to stand on the corner; she was dressed for other things besides the cold.  But I wasn't buying.

One man was brave enough to walk my side of the street, making a little joke as he passed.

As I moved further into the depths of downtown, and as I drew closer to the division, the number of bars multiplied, their neon lights almost endless.  Many of people who end up on the streets are alcoholics and there were plenty of places for them to find their old friends.  The homeless wandering here have no place to be this night, alone and not as cheerful as the ones in the cafe.  They were probably feeling the cold as I was, but I didn't live here. I could escape.  This is all they had, feeling the cold's bitter embrace, some shivering frightfully because they didn't even have the luxury of gloves as I did.  Upon seeing me, they all would scatter, taking another street, moving to an alleyway.  And when I passed, they often would watch us go by, curious, but unwilling to speak.  They would turn away after I passed, often disappearing into alleys and doorways, wanting nothing more than to be forgotten.

A homeless man with a stray cat following him like a puppy, ever anxious for the other's warmth in the bitter wind.  Together they were a picture of a certain happiness and joy that I could never comprehend.  The two disappeared together through a door going someplace that only they shared, separate from all else.

 Hurt, anger, or loneliness.  I could step away ... and have my coffee and hot breakfast. But they couldn't. They were trapped there, behind the smoky glass.

END OF MONOLOGUE



From the book "Me in Pieces"
ISBN-13: 978-1981312054
Book:
PDF: 


Contact doug@freedrama.net for permission to use this script (include the title "Nightwalker" in your request).

Find more free serious monologues at http://www.freedrama.net/small1d.html

free serious monologues

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.