Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wayfaring Stranger scene for 2 actors with music (musical scene) from stage play script Holy Ground

Scene 4 from the stage play script "Holy Ground" for 1 male and 1 female.  Please contact doug@freedrama.net for permission to use this scene (include the name "Wayfaring Stranger" in your request).


From a published play "Holy Ground":


This is a flashback.  The lights are dim except for one spot where Molly stands.  Molly is in the church singing "Wayfarin Stranger."  Turk walks in unnoticed during the song.

WAYFARING STRANGER

MOLLY
"I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
I'm traveling through this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my mother/father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet golden fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed shall ever sleep
I'm going there to see my father/mother
S/he said he'd/she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I want to wear a crown of glory
When I get home to that good land
I want to shout salvation's story
In concert with the blood-washed band
I'm going there to meet my Saviour
To sing his praise forever more
I'm just a-going over Jordan
I'm just a-going over home"

Turk listens and then claps when she is done.  Molly is startled.

MOLLY
I didn't know anyone was here.  I never sing in front of anyone.

Turk
Why?  You're amazing.

MOLLY
No... I'm not.

TURK
I've never heard such an incredible voice.  I listen and it does something to me.  Something I've never felt before.  It sends shivers down my spine.  And then I feel this peace wash over me.  I've never felt so peaceful.  I felt drawn here by your song.  I almost never set foot inside a church... but your song... your song brought me here... brought me to you.

MOLLY
I know you, don't I?

TURK
You do.

MOLLY
You look so familiar.

TURK
I was one of your students.  Community service orientation.  Don't worry.  I wasn't one the ones required to be there.  I volunteered.

MOLLY
I remember now.  We even did the roadside cleanup together.

TURK
It's interesting what you find along a roadside.

MOLLY
What was the most interesting thing you found that day?

Turk
You.

Molly gets nervous.

MOLLY
Stop.

Turk changes the subject a bit.

TURK
I remember we found a music box.

MOLLY
That's right.

TURK
I couldn't believe it still worked.  What was the song?

Molly sings.

MOLLY
"Oh, come, all ye faithful,
Joyful and triumphant!
Oh, come ye, oh, come ye to Bethlehem;
Come and behold him
Born the king of angels:
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Oh, come, let us adore him,
Christ the Lord."

TURK
That's right.  I like your version better.

MOLLY
I still have it.

TURK
Why did you keep it?

MOLLY
I keep lots of weird little things.  I know it was probably important to someone.  And sometimes those things make me happy and bring me new memories.

TURK
You have a beautiful way of looking at things.  Anyone ever told you that?

MOLLY
No.  Probably because I don't usually share this much of myself with anyone.  It's like my singing.  I keep my feelings to myself.

TURK
It's nice having someone to talk to.

MOLLY
I know what you mean. Everyone in this world seems so isolated.

TURK
You can have a million online friends but never really talk to anyone.  Technology brought the world closer together and but made individuals grow farther apart.

MOLLY
You're a pretty smart guy.

TURK
I don't hear that very often.

MOLLY
I like how you think.

TURK
I like everything about you.

MOLLY
Stop it.

TURK
Why?

MOLLY
I don't know.

TURK
I don't mean to be so forward.  I'll walk on out of here if you want.  I just know that I've never been around someone so special before.

MOLLY
I'm not that special.

TURK
To me you are.  I've never felt this way around anyone else.  I've never talked this much... I've never felt as good as I feel when I hear you sing.  And to know that you've only sung for me... makes it even more special.

MOLLY
I didn't sing for you.

Turk laughs.

TURK
Okay, I can take a hint.  It was wonderful listening to you.  And talking.  Take care.

MOLLY
I... I can sing something for you if you want.

TURK
Really?

MOLLY
Sure.

TURK
I'm honored.

MOLLY
Anything in particular?

TURK
Know any Duran Duran?

Molly laughs.

MOLLY
No.

TURK
You have a nice laugh too.

MOLLY
Stop with the compliments!

TURK
Fine.  Sing me something and I promise to hate it.

MOLLY
Hey!

TURK
Just kidding... please sing.  I'd love to hear anything you want to sing.  And I'll try my best not to hit on you after.

MOLLY
It's not that I don't like it... I mean... I don't... but it's okay... I mean... you know that we're in church and... well... and we just met... well, not really... but we...

TURK
You're too cute.

MOLLY
Stop!

TURK
Okay... okay... I'm stopping.

MOLLY
No more hitting on me.

TURK
You mean today or forever.

Molly smiles shyly.

MOLLY
Just today.

Turk
It's a deal.  Sing for me?

MOLLY
I'll sing... but for God.  I'll sing for you another day.

TURK
Deal.

Molly sings "It Is Well With My Soul."

MOLLY
"When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control:
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And has shed His own blood for my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul."

END OF SCENE

Read the entire stage play script of Holy Ground at http://www.freedrama.net/holygrnd.html

Read more scenes for two actors at http://www.freedrama.net/small2.html

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.