Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Romantic comedy script for 2-4 actors Looks Get in the Way

Here is one of my favorites, a romantic comedy called: "Looks Get in the Way" http://www.freedrama.net/looksget.html

It is a great story about finding someone who loves you for who you are, not how you look.

Short comedy about finding the perfect person. 2-3 m 1-2 w (4 total).


"LOOKS GET IN THE WAY" by D. M. Larson from Freedrama.net
Copyright (c) 2011 All Rights Reserved
This play appears in the book "3 Short Comedy Scripts" available on Amazon.com ISBN-13: 978-1546726845

(There is a nice restaurant with a bit of a romantic atmosphere.  A woman in a little old lady mask (Sidney) is sitting at the down center table sitting across from an empty chair.  A man, Tony, walks up to the table.  He stops and gives a funny look at Sidney)

TONY
Uh... I think I have the wrong table?

(Sidney speaks in an old lady voice)

SIDNEY
Who you looking for, honey?

TONY
Sidney.

SIDNEY
That's me.

TONY
What?

SIDNEY
I'm Sidney.

TONY
Is this a joke?

SIDNEY
Are you Tony?  You're late.  I thought you'd be here at 5.

TONY
I've gotta go.  Uh... I just wanted to tell you that Tony can't make it.

(Tony leaves.  Sidney does her regular voice)

SIDNEY
See you later, loser.

(A waitress (or waiter) brings Sidney an appetizer.  Sidney eats it through the mouth hole in the mask.  Next Phil enters.  He is a nerdy looking guy in glasses and has some old flowers in his hand.  The waitress shows him to Sidney's table.  Phil is so nervous he doesn't even look at Sidney and sits.  He shields himself with his flowers.)

PHIL
Hey, there, Sidney.  I'm early.  I mean I'm Phil and I'm early.  I am glad you're early too, well, sort of. I was hoping to beat you and get used to the room first.  I get nervous in new places.  And with new people.  I get nervous a lot.  I brought you flowers.

(Phil sticks the flowers in the middle of the table to it blocks Sidney from view and himself as well.  Sidney tries to get a good look at Phil.)

PHIL (CONT.)
The flowers are a little wilted.  They were pretty.  I mean there is this wonderful flower shop but I didn't have time to go there today but I did a few days ago and I wanted those flowers.  I don't get a date every day you know and I wanted this to be special, so I got the best flowers I know of but I want this to be great.  You know what I mean.

(Sidney grabs and flowers and smells them.  In her old lady voice she says:)

SIDNEY
They're lovely.

(Phil sees Sidney's old lady mask for the first time.  He is suddenly speechless.  He stares a moment.  He takes off his glasses and cleans them.  He puts them on and looks again.  Sidney puts the flowers to the side of the table and looks at Phil happily.  After a few moments of silence:)

PHIL
What's with the mask?

SIDNEY
Does it scare you?

PHIL
Not really... it's just... weird.

SIDNEY
Hmm... so you're not gonna run off on me?

PHIL
I have to admit.  I'm a little curious.  Why would you wear an old person mask to dinner?  And do the weird voice?

SIDNEY
It's my way of weeding out the losers.  I want to find a man who likes what I'm really like and doesn't let my looks get in the way.

Read more at: http://www.freedrama.net/looksget.html

Or here is a "Two actor version" http://www.freedrama.net/looksget2.html



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.