Saturday, May 17, 2014

Meaning of the monologue "Demons" http://www.freedrama.net/demons.html

I have many people ask about the meaning of the monologue I wrote called "Demons" http://www.freedrama.net/demons.html

Even though the monologue goes with the play Holy Ground, it was written for very personal reasons.

Here are the questions I received recently and the answers:
1. What were your thought processes as you wrote this monologue?
Demons is about the things inside us, that torture us... it could be our past, bad decisions, negative feelings and experiences... I've had my own demons that haunt me and I struggle with.
2. What are Turk's given circumstances at this point in the script?
The script came from a moment that I had in my life where everything was falling apart. I felt like my world was being destroyed and something inside me was causing it... and I had someone I loved that stayed with me during all that (she is now my wife) that didn't give up on me and helped me work through those issues.
3. Do you think it is appropriate if Turk hurts himself as he says the line "they are punishing me"?
This is also based on another person I know and yes, it would be appropriate for him to hurt himself... this other person it is based on did physically hurt themselves.
4. What would be your directorial vision if you were to direct this scene?
My suggestion (directing wise) would be to go for a wide range of emotions. One moment, go for sadness, another go for anger, then fear, etc. Try to decide which part has which emotion and try for a variety, changing the pacing with each emotional change.

"Holy Ground" is available on Amazon.com








Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.