Monday, December 26, 2016

"Control the Future" scene 18 time travel adventure free stage play script

"CONTROL THE FUTURE"
by D. M. Larson
ISBN-13: 978-1540666581

SCENE 18


(BAKER and JONES enter a store)


BAKER
This has to be it… this is the key moment.  The moment where he makes a critical choice.


JONES
I hope you’re right.


BAKER
The temporal energy is off the charts… time has changed here… this is a key moment where time branches.


JONES
I wonder how many times we’ve been here?


BAKER
From what he said at the hospital, we have met him here before - and we’re doing this again… we have to get it right this time.


JONES
I wonder what we did that was creepy?


BAKER
There he is… hide…


JONES
Us hiding and watching him could be considered creepy.


BAKER
Good point…


JONES
Wait, don’t just go up to him… we have to plan this…


BAKER
There’s no time. We have to make this happen now.


JONES
But if we say the wrong thing…


(Young ASH goes up to them)


ASH
You guys work here?


JONES
Uh… no… sorry…


BAKER
Wait… yes, we do.


JONES
But…


BAKER
What can we help you find?


JONES
Oh, I get it…


ASH
You guys sure you work here?


BAKER
Of course… I’m just training Skippy here. He’s new.


JONES
Skippy?


ASH
You know where the comics are?


BAKER
We’re all out…


ASH
What?


JONES
Yup, we sold every last one.


ASH
I don’t think you guys work here.


(ASH wanders off)


BAKER
Great… look what you’ve done.


JONES
Me?


BAKER
Go distract him. I will grab all the comics and make a run for it.


JONES
What should I do?  


BAKER
Talk him into getting a notebook… and encourage him to write that book he was talking about to his sister.


JONES
Got it…


(JONES to ASH)


JONES
We have some great notebooks if you’d like to see them.


ASH
Um… that’s okay… I just remembered the new issue of the Walking Dread came out and I really wanted to get it.  It’s like my favorite comic.  I can’t believe they ran out.


JONES
Comics are such a waste of time… writing is the way to go… write something better than that junk… write something that will help people… and change the world.


ASH
Wait… were you spying on me when I was talking to my sister?


JONES
Um… no… I…


ASH
Who are you?  Get away from me you freak.


JONES
Wait… please… this is important…


(ASH runs off and OLDER ASHTON appears with BAKER with a weapon pointed at him)


JONES
Baker… is that…?


BAKER
It’s an older Ashton…


ASHTON
I’ve come to put a stop to all your meddling. You’re both creating a mess of the future… every moment you spend in the past, the worse it gets.  The splinters in time are slowly ripping everything apart.  You have to stop. Everything you do has a domino affect… one small change and the resulting ripple goes on for decades.


BAKER
We are trying to stop you… you’re the one who changes everything.


ASHTON
Am I really?  Are you sure?


(ASHTON looks at JONES)


JONES
What are you looking at me for?


ASHTON
Your first jump back in time was more than a little ripple… you altered the course of history…


JONES
But it was a good change… I put a stop to a Zombie Apocolypse…


ASHTON
But you also left behind a tool that would lead to a massive change…


(Holds up the Emergency Kit charge card from scene 1)


BAKER
The credit card!


JONES
With no credit limit.


ASHTON
Unlimited funds with unlimited potential to change everything.  Without it, my future would have been very different.


BAKER
How did we miss that?


JONES
My brain has been turned to swiss cheese after all that time travel… I’m not surprise I missed it.


ASHTON
And that’s what you’ve done to time as well.... poked so many holes, the fabric of time is falling apart… ripped and damaged…


BAKER
But we had to stop you… we had to prevent you from rising to power… look what you do to humanity.


ASHTON
No… look at what you did to humanity.  Your tampering with time did this.  You created the problem and every time you tried to fix it you made it worse.  That’s why I banned time travel in the future and destroyed that technology.  It’s too dangerous… yes, there are dark moments in our history… very sad and tragic times… but if you go back and time and kill someone like Hilter, what are the consequences? I have learned that there is a delicate balance to the universe something like a Yin and Yang that keeps everything from tumbling into choas. The bad gets balanced by good and the good is balanced out with bad.  As much as we want the good, the bad keeps things from getting out of control.  Besides… one person’s good can be another person’s bad.  What we do affects others… and what you both did affected everyone.  It was too much… it threw everything out of wack.  You’ve tipped the scale and disrupted the balance… you’ve abused your power.  So I’m not the villain here… you are.  And I have come back in time to put a stop to this…


(ASHTON pulls out a weapon but JONES and BAKER start fighting back and take away his weapon. ASHTON falls and has a heart attack)


JONES
Do you think he’s right?  Do think we did that much damage?


BAKER
We?  We?  What did I do?


JONES
Don’t pin this all on me.


JONES
What do we do?


BAKER
I don’t know… I think it’s over now.  He’s dead.


JONES
We better take him with us.


BAKER
To which time… to what future?

JONES
It’s hard to say… we don’t really know what’s waiting for us anymore.

GO TO PART 2 OF SCENE 18

or

GO TO MAIN MENU
OF ALL SCENES
AND CAST OF CHARACTERS

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.