Friday, July 7, 2017

"Father's Day" short dramatic script for 2 actors

FATHER’S DAY
By D. M. Larson


Copyright © 2017
All Rights Reserved
(Do not repost the text of this script online)



SCENE


(HARPER sits at a table alone in a room. She is nervous and sad. Her FATHER enters and she tries to put on a happy face. He sits across the table from her)


FATHER
Hi, Harper. I’m really happy you came.


HARPER
Happy Father’s Day.


FATHER
Thanks… wow, you’re growing fast. How long has it been since I last saw you?


HARPER
It was Christmas.


FATHER
That’s right. Christmas. I lose track of time. Every day seems like another.


HARPER
Did you get the pictures? The ones of the school play?


FATHER
I did. I loved your costume. Did you sing? You have a wonderful voice.


HARPER
I did.


FATHER
Sing for me.


HARPER
Now?


FATHER
Sure.


HARPER
I can’t. Not in front of all these strangers.


FATHER
But you sang in front of the whole school.


HARPER
It’s not the same.


FATHER
Come on.


HARPER
Maybe you can make it to the next play?  


FATHER
I wish I could.


HARPER
Maybe… if things go well here… you won’t be here forever… will you?


FATHER
I want to come home. I really do. I’m trying my best. I have another hearing next month. My lawyer says I might have a chance.


HARPER
I hope so… we miss you, Daddy.


FATHER
How is your mother?


HARPER
She told me not to talk about her.


FATHER
She’s still mad at me?


HARPER
You left us.


FATHER
It wasn’t my choice.


HARPER
You didn’t have to do that job. That’s what made you end up here, isn’t it?


FATHER
I wanted to take care of you all. I wanted to help. I lost my job and I didn’t have any other options.


HARPER
Mom is supporting us now.


FATHER
You have a good mother. I’m happy she’s taking care of you. I just wish I could have done as good of a job.


HARPER
You tried. I know you tried.


FATHER
I’d do anything for you… But it wasn’t enough.


HARPER
Just having you home would be enough.


FATHER
If your mother will let me.


HARPER
It’s been hard for her. I’ve never seen her so sad. She cries every night. She never does it in front of me. She waits until she thinks I’m asleep. She has this picture of us in her room and she looks at it and cries. I want to help her, but I don’t know how.


FATHER
You are the reason she keeps going. She’s doing everything for you. She’ll never give up on you.


HARPER
I’m worried she is giving up on you.


FATHER
I can see why.


HARPER
Why can’t she forgive you?


FATHER
I don’t blame her. I can’t even forgive myself.


HARPER
I forgive you, Daddy. I will always forgive you.


FATHER
You’re a good girl, Harper. I hope you’ll always have a forgiving heart. And that no one ever does anything to change that.


HARPER
What happened to you, Daddy? What changed you?


FATHER
I don’t know if I ever had a good heart.


HARPER
You were good to me.


FATHER
I wanted to be different for you. I wanted to be better. Being a father changed me, it made me try harder to be good. But I guess it was too late.


HARPER
It’s never too late.


FATHER
I want to believe that you’re right. I wish it was as easy to be good as it is to be bad. No matter how hard I try, something always happens… something deceives me, tricks me, tempts me… I’m so weak.


HARPER
Don’t be sad, Daddy. Let’s think of something good. Tell me something you want to do when you come home.


FATHER
I want to take you to that pizza place, with all those games, the one we went to for your birthday. With all the lights and music… you did that dancing game… and you looked so happy. Everyone watched you dance and cheered. That’s one of my best memories.


HARPER
I was very happy.


FATHER
And I want to see one of your school plays. I hope you get the lead in the next one. And I want to be in the front row.


HARPER
I want that too, Daddy. Real bad.


FATHER
I will do my best.


HARPER
Can I give you a hug?


FATHER
They won’t let us. It’s against the rules.


HARPER
I hate the rules.


FATHER
Harper. Don’t hate the rules. Hating the rules is what got me in here. Love the rules and don’t be like me.


HARPER
Okay, Daddy.


FATHER
Never do anything that keeps you from giving your child a hug. That’s the worst part of this for me. Being away from you and your mother. Please ask your mother to come see me. I miss her.


HARPER
I will.


FATHER
Goodbye, Harper.


HARPER
Goodbye, Daddy.


(They stand and look like they want to hug. Lights go to black)


END OF SCENE

Buy a low cost PDF of this scene at https://sellfy.com/p/GtWg/



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.