Thursday, June 4, 2015

A SONG FOR GRANDMA free monologue with music for teen male from stage play script Bullied, Bungled and Botched

From my play for high school about bullying, "Bullied, Bungled and Botched" for teens, teenagers, young adults.


A SONG FOR GRANDMA 

(BING is singing the song "They Can't Take That Away From Me" by Billie Holiday)

BING
(Sings)

“The way you wear your hat
The way you sip your tea
The memory of all that
No, no they can't take that away from me”

(Smiles and speaks)

My grandma taught me all her old favorite tunes. She loved hearing me sing them. She said I am as good as any of those old time stars and way better than anything you hear today. She was always so nice to me. My grandma has been the most wonderful woman in my life. No one treated me better or made me feel more loved.

We’d spend hours singing together. She’d play the piano and teach me the words to all her songs. I loved it. I know it’s weird. No one likes hanging out with old people. But my grandma never seemed old. She had such a young spirit. And see seemed so much more alive than anyone else I knew.

And no one knew me better. She could always tell when I was down or worried. She’d always listen and have the best advice. Even though Grandma never went to college, she was the smartest person I knew.  I guess wise would be the right word for it. She was so much wiser than everyone else. She really understood life and had the answers. No one has answers anymore. Sure, people will listen but they don’t really have any advice or know what to do. But Grandma knew. She always knew the the right thing to say that would help the most.

And now, I sing for her every day hoping she’ll hear me in Heaven and send me a smile.

(Sings)

“The way your smile just beams
The way you sing off key
The way you haunt my dreams
No, no they can't take that away from me
We may never, never meet again
On the bumpy road to love
Still I'll always, always keep the memory of
The way you hold your knife
The way we danced till three
The way you changed my life
No, no they can't take that away from me
No, they can't take that away from me

We may never, never meet again
On that bumpy road to love
Still I'll always, always keep the memory of
The way you hold your knife
The way we danced till three
The way you change my life
No, no they can't take that away from me
No, they can't take that away from me.”

(Smiles sadly and speaks)

They’ll never take you away from me Grandma. You’ll always be in my heart.

(Wipes away some tears)

Sorry about that. I’m a softy. Do you prefer something with a beat?

(Sings and dances as he leaves the stage)

“Hello my baby
Hello my honey
Hello my ragtime gal
Send me a kiss by wire
Baby my hearts on fire”

END OF MONOLOGUE




Read the entire play at http://freedrama.net/bullied.html

Find more free monologues at http://www.freedrama.net/small1.html




Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.