Saturday, April 23, 2016

"Why My Eyes?" dramatic monologue for male historical Civil War

This monologue is from the script "The Dead Ones" by D. M. Larson

Zeb is a soldier from the Confederacy who has been injured in battle and is unable to see.  He is telling someone about a drawing that he carries with him.  He did a drawing is of a woman he loves who is one of the family slaves.

"Why My Eyes?"
by D. M. Larson

That's Aphrodite. Father always gives our slaves Greek names. She was my favorite. 
I fell in love with her. I know I shouldn't have but she was always so kind to me. She’d do anything I'd ask her. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help loving her. I never knew if she really loved me though. She was obedient and attentive and kind but I knew she couldn't really love me… too dangerous, too forbidden. But I loved her just the same. I drew a lot of pictures of her. She was always happy to pose for me. That was her favorite thing to do she told me. And I loved it too. We were so happy then. I wanted to be an artist before the war. But the war changed everything. Father wanted me to be a great soldier like him but you see how that turned out. Why my eyes? It could have been my ears or my legs but why my eyes? I can't live without my eyes. They are how I live - they are everything to me.



For permission to use this monologue, contact (please include the title "Why My Eyes?" in your request).

No comments:

Post a Comment