Saturday, April 23, 2016

"Why My Eyes?" dramatic monologue for male historical Civil War

This monologue is from the script "The Dead Ones" by D. M. Larson
http://freedramaplays.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-dead-ones-dramatic-civil-war.html

Zeb is a soldier from the Confederacy who has been injured in battle and is unable to see.  He is telling someone about a drawing that he carries with him.  He did a drawing is of a woman he loves who is one of the family slaves.

"Why My Eyes?"
by D. M. Larson

ZEB
That's Aphrodite. Father always gives our slaves Greek names. She was my favorite. 
I fell in love with her. I know I shouldn't have but she was always so kind to me. She’d do anything I'd ask her. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help loving her. I never knew if she really loved me though. She was obedient and attentive and kind but I knew she couldn't really love me… too dangerous, too forbidden. But I loved her just the same. I drew a lot of pictures of her. She was always happy to pose for me. That was her favorite thing to do she told me. And I loved it too. We were so happy then. I wanted to be an artist before the war. But the war changed everything. Father wanted me to be a great soldier like him but you see how that turned out. Why my eyes? It could have been my ears or my legs but why my eyes? I can't live without my eyes. They are how I live - they are everything to me.

END OF MONOLOGUE

***



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.