Thursday, October 6, 2016

"Teen Angel" Part 5 one act play scene "Welcome to Adulthood"

"TEEN ANGEL" by D. M. Larson
  • ISBN-13: 978-1511481557

PART 5 - "Welcome to Adulthood"

(Lights come up on diner. HEATHER calls over KATE)
SONG: “The Purple People Eater” by Sheb Wooley

HEATHER 
Kate, you didn’t take the burger off my bill. I’m not paying for any of this now. 

KATE 
Heather, you have to pay your bill. You can’t keep coming in here and getting free meals. 

HEATHER 
What’s this? Have a little backbone now do we? Sorry, Kate, but I’m not paying! 

ALICE 
(Enters) 
What’s going on out here? 

(PEGGY enters too as KATE and HEATHER get into a shouting match) 

KATE 
Heather won’t pay her bill. 

HEATHER 
She got my order wrong. 

KATE 
She keeps saying that so she doesn’t have to pay. 

HEATHER 
If this retard would ever get it right, then I would pay. 

KATE 
I always get it right. You’re trying to cheat me. 

PEGGY 
(Shouts and waves arms) 
Everyone stop yelling! 
(Everyone freezes except PEGGY) 
Oh, my gosh. What happened? 
(Looks at everyone who still aren’t moving) 
I can freeze people? But how do I get them back? 
(Thinks) How about… start! 
(Everyone is yelling again) 

HEATHER I
 want this girl fired. 

KATE 
I want her arrested. 

PEGGY 
Stop! 
(Everyone freezes again and PEGGY smiles) 
I’m going to like this. 
(Looks at everyone) 
Now, how do I stop this? 
(Grabs a cracker off table and puts it in HEATHER’s mouth) 
Start! 

HEATHER 
(Tries to speak but can’t because of the cracker. Spits out cracker) 
What the… how did that happen? 

ALICE 
Heather. Why don’t you and your friends go ahead and go. Lunch is on me. 

HEATHER 
There, now, someone’s being reasonable. 
(Motions to friends who get up) 
Let’s go, girls. 

(HEATHER and girls exit) 

KATE 
Alice, I… 

ALICE 
I’ve never seen you like that before. Yelling at Heather like that. 

KATE 
I’m sorry. I sort of lost it. 

ALICE 
You don’t know how many times I’ve wanted to yell at that girl myself. 

KATE 
What? 

ALICE 
Someone needs to take that girl out in the alley and slap her around. 

KATE 
So you’re not mad? You’re not going to fire me? 

ALICE 
You’re the best worker I’ve got, Kate. And I know you weren’t wrong. But unfortunately, we have a business to run and we can’t go around telling off customers… especially ones with powerful parents. 

KATE 
It’s so unfair. 

ALICE 
Welcome to adulthood. 

(ALICE exits. KATE sighs and sits) 

PEGGY 
(Goes up to KATE) 
That was brave of you, Kate. 
That was great how you stood up to Heather. 

KATE 
If it was so great, then how come I feel like someone punched me in the stomach. 

(DAVID enters. He sits at a table behind them and watches) 

PEGGY 
It’s not easy standing up to people. But sometimes we need to draw a line in the sand and refuse to budge anymore. 

KATE 
Thanks. Pamela right? Or was it Paula? 

PEGGY 
Or call me Peggy. Whatever you want? 

KATE 
Peggy? Hey, that was Rick’s girlfriend’s name. 

PEGGY 
Rick’s girlfriend? 

KATE 
Yeah, she was killed in a car accident. Rick was driving. He feels so horrible about it. I wish I could do something for him. 

PEGGY 
(Distant) 
Me too.


OR

BUY A LOW COST PDF AT
SELLFY.COM


OR



OR

Purchase the book from Amazon.com:





Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.