Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Mystery of the Gangster Ghost Part 4 scene "Unfinished Business" stage play script

MYSTERY OF THE GANGSTER GHOST

PART 4


FLO

What about Sadie?


(JAQUE looks at MAYA who shakes her head no)


JAQUE

It’s hard to say. I’m still getting

some readings.


MAYA

She must still have unfinished

business... it’s with some other

man. Al or Cal or Hal, I’m not sure.


FLO

We know an Al and a Cal.


REMMY

You don’t think one of them had

anything to do with their deaths?


FLO

I sure hope not.


REMMY

Is there anything we can do to help

Sadie... uh... move along?


MAYA

Just speak to her when you sense

her presence. Tell her you

understand, let her know you’re

here for her. And maybe your

kindness and understanding will

help her move along too.


JAQUE

But I don’t think you’ll experience

anything like that night again now

that John has moved on.


FLO

Thank goodness.


REMMY

It would be wonderful if we could

help Sadie and John move on

together. They shouldn’t be apart

any longer.


(REMMY goes to MAYA)


REMMY (CONT.)

Are you sure you’re okay?


MAYA

I could use something to drink.


FLO

She said the magic words.


REMMY

I think we might have a little

something special in the car that

will fix you right up.


(FLO and REMMY exit. JAQUE and MAYA drop their wacky

accents)


JAQUE

We really shouldn’t hang around any

longer than we need to. The first

rule of exorcism is get out fast

before they ask too many questions.

Now we’re staying for drinks.


MAYA

I have a feeling they have some

other spirits, if you know what I

mean. That’s a real treat.


JAQUE

Just a quick sip and then we’re

leaving, got it?


MAYA

Fine... fine... I’m just not in a

hurry. Something really happened

here tonight.


JAQUE

What? Some of that was real?


MAYA

Very.


JAQUE

You haven’t tapped in to anything

in years.


MAYA

I did this time. That was very

strong. Sadie really wanted to be heard.


(PETE claps his hands in the darkness. JAQUE and MAYA are

startled)


PETE

Brilliant performance. Must say I

was convinced. You are as great as

I remember, Maya.


MAYA

Where did you come from?


PETE

I didn’t mean to startle you. You

look like you just saw a ghost?


(PETE laughs at his joke)


JAQUE

How long have you been in here...

watching us?


PETE

The whole time. That was quite a show.


MAYA

That was no show. We do legitimate work.


JAQUE

Yes, we are professionals.


PETE

Professional con artists is what I’d say.


MAYA

How dare you. This was quite real

tonight.


PETE

Now don’t go get your knickers in a

bunch. Your act is very convincing.


JAQUE

This is no act.


PETE

Yes, yes, so you claim. Between

your little gadgets and the lady’s

performance, you have quite a thing going.


JAQUE

I’ll have you know that I have put

years of research and study into

what we do!


PETE

Sure, sure. Can I see your gadget there?


JAQUE

What?


PETE

Can I see it?


JAQUE

This is very sensitive equipment. I

don’t allow anyone to play with it.


(PETE is trying to get a look at it)


PETE

Let me guess. When you say there’s

a ghost, you turn the flashing

lights on and when the ghost starts

to come or go you change how often

it flashes I’d guess.


(JAQUE gets angry and clenches his fists)


JAQUE

Now look here, buddy...


PETE

Don’t get violent. Remember, I’d

admire your abilities to do this.

Not anyone can do what you do.


JAQUE

If you think we’re frauds, then how

did we know that stuff about the

chair and ceiling?


PETE

I’d guess that someone came in here

and spied around. One of you

interviewed people who come here a

lot. I’m sure the owners have told

the story a million times to a

million people.


MAYA

Why are we even talking to you?


JAQUE

Maybe he was sent by you were sent

by Ghosts and Spirits, Inc. to

discredit us.


PETE

GAS? No, I checked them out and

they’re not nearly the pros you

guys are.


JAQUE

First right thing you’ve said all night.


PETE

Let’s cut to the chase. I want to

hire you. I am willing to believe

some it was real. Maya used to be

the best before you stooped to your

whole "ghost buster for hire"

routine. And right now, I need the

best... you think you can be the

best again?


MAYA

You think we’re frauds and you want

to hire us?


JAQUE

Sorry, we don’t work for people who

doubt our abilities.


PETE

I’ll pay you five thousand dollars.


MAYA

Five thousand?


PETE

Each.


JAQUE

Each?


MAYA

How soon do you need us?


(She pulls out a small calendar and pencil)


PETE

I’ll expect you on Friday night at

10 pm. We’ll meet right here in

this very building. I’ll speak to

the owners about it.


JAQUE

Wait. We don’t do return visits.


(MAYA grabs JAQUE roughly)


MAYA

We will make an exception.


JAQUE

So are you going to supply the ghost?


PETE

She’s already here. It’s Sadie I’m

interested in.


JAQUE

Why her?


PETE

She is connected to a murder and I

want the killer brought to justice.



MAYA

What can you tell us about this killer?


PETE

That’s why I need you, Maya.


JAQUE

But with nothing to go on?


MAYA

We can do it.


PETE

That’s what I thought. You were

once the best. If anyone can handle

this, you can.


MAYA

We aim to please.


(JAQUE pulls MAYA aside)


JAQUE

I have a bad feeling about this.

Something tells me there’s more

here than meets the eye.


MAYA

Hey, I’m the one who’s supposed to

have the funny feelings.


JAQUE

So do you have any?


MAYA

No, I don’t. And even if I did, it

wouldn’t matter. He’s offering us

five thousand dollar each. We

really need the money.


JAQUE

But why is he offering so much?


MAYA

There’s probably a reward for

catching the killer and he is going

to split it with it. Maybe we can

hold out for more money even. And

besides... I feel a connection with

Sadie. I want to help her. And

we’ve done this sort of thing

before and we can do it again.


JAQUE

Or maybe this can be our last

hurrah. Final proof that we’re

washed up. If we blow this one,

that will be a sign to retire.

Maybe I’m getting a little tired of

playing ghost buster.


MAYA

Retirement? Really?


JAQUE

Look, tell the guy we’ll do it. But

keep in mind, if this goes sour on

us, I’m done.


(MAYA goes to PETE)


MAYA

We’ll be here.


PETE

Nifty. We’ll be doing it as a

little show. That’s the

cover. You’ll be a performing

psychic... we’ll call the show...

Seeing Beyond with Maya

Fantasma. And we need an

audience. Jaque... you’ll be a

plant in case Maya needs help...

bring a friend too... you have a girlfriend?


JAQUE

Yeah.


PETE

Bring her.


JAQUE

I don’t know. She doesn’t know

anything about me and this ghost

busting stuff.


PETE

Please... we need as many people as

we can get. I’ll buy you dinner or

something... at the Bee’s Knees.


MAYA

That’s the hottest club in town.



JAQUE

Fine, I’ll bring her.


PETE

Attaboy. I’ll be looking forward to it.


MAYA

As will we...


(They exit. Lights fade to black. Curtain closes.)






Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.