Tuesday, September 26, 2017

"A Gift from the Light" Part 2 sci fi script for two actors

"A Gift from the Light"
by D. M. Larson

Copyright (c) 2017

All Rights Reserved


For permission to use the script, email doug@freedrama.net

PART 2


MAC
You don't look that bad, kid. I will get you home. Besides I don't think they'll be showing me with rewards if I deliver your dead body.


ZEB
I'll write a note or something.  


MAC
How you gonna do that, blind boy?


ZEB
I don't know. I feel like I am losing my mind along with my eyes. The world is different when you can't see. It seems so much smaller… so much colder.


MAC
You need a blanket or something kid?


ZEB
So cold.


MAC
Hang on kid. I'll get help. I'm going up that hill so see how close we are to a town or a camp or something.


(MAC runs off. ZEB sees a vision of a WOMAN IN WHITE)


ZEB
Wait… I see something… Who are you? Are you here to help? Are you a nurse? Or an angel? I wish I could touch you… You look so warm… And I'm so cold. Please come closer… Hold me.


(ZEB reach for her and falls. WOMAN IN WHITE vanishes. MAC returns and runs up to ZEB)


MAC
Kid! You okay? Kid, wake up! Dammit! Don't die on me! I need that money and I need them sisters!


ZEB
It's the darkness again. I don't want the darkness again.


MAC
I thought I lost you for a minute.


ZEB
I wanted to be lost. I hurt so bad.


MAC
We all hurt, kid. All the time. That's how we know we're alive.


ZEB
What's your name anyway?


MAC
Mac.


ZEB
Mac what?


MAC
Just Mac.


ZEB
You can call me Zeb.


MAC
Zeb? That short for something.


ZEB
Yeah. Short for Zebulon. It's from the Word.


MAC
Figured as much.


ZEB
You believe in angels?


MAC
I've met a few in my day. Them pretty ones that give you little look into heaven.


ZEB
I saw one. Just now. When you went away.


MAC
Don't you be seeing Angels. Get on your feet kid.


(MAC helps him up)


ZEB
She was so beautiful and so warm. I wanted so badly to feel her.


MAC
Nothing better than an angel on a cold night.


ZEB
Is it night? It feels like night.


MAC
It's the middle of the day now. I hope we're still not out here tonight. I have no idea how far we have to go though.


ZEB
Thank you for helping me.


MAC
Don't thank me yet. I ain't got you home and I don't see nothing close. You better be really rich and your sisters better be really pretty or this ain't worth it.


ZEB
We’re very rich… But my sisters ain't pretty.


(They laugh)


MAC
I can live with that.


(They laugh more, then Zeb starts coughing uncontrollably - he pushes MAC away and falls to his knees. He coughs up blood)


ZEB
I'm a mess.


MAC
I've seen worse.


ZEB
At least you see something. I can't see… Anything.


MAC
We have to keep walking.


ZEB
I want you to help me write a note to my family, in case I don't make it.


MAC
I told you…


ZEB
I thought about that.  I will mention something in it that only I would know so they know it's really from me.


MAC
I can't write it… Cause I can't write - can't read neither. So focus on staying alive.


ZEB
Then let me give you something now in case I don't make it. If I give you this I want you to promise you’ll get me back to my family dead or alive.


MAC
Kid, you ain't gonna die…


(ZEB holds out a gold watch)


MAC
Is that gold?


ZEB
Hand crafted on Rotwang.


MAC
It's beautiful.


ZEB
It's yours… If you promise…


MAC
I promise.  


(MAC looks in amazement at the watch)


ZEB
Thank you, Mac. It brings me peace knowing you’ve made this pledge to me and are bound to deliver me to my family. We are a well known Moloch family…


MAC
This gives me an idea. You got anything else worth something I can trade and get us transport? A transport would be a mighty nice way to get you home.


ZEB
I might have something.


(He pulls out some items from his jacket)


MAC
It's a picture - somebody drew - a pretty slave girl.


(ZEB reaches for it and MAC gives it to him)


ZEB
That's Maria, one of our slaves.


MAC
A Grot?


ZEB
Yes… you say Grot like they do. Rolling the “r”... my father always made fun of that.


(MAC steps back concerned, but ZEB doesn’t push the issue)


ZEB (CONT.)
Maria was my favorite. I fell in love with her. I know I shouldn't have but she was always so kind to me. She’d do anything I'd ask her. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help loving her. I never knew if she really loved me though. She was obedient and attentive and kind but I knew she couldn't really love me… too dangerous, too forbidden. But I loved her just the same. I drew a lot of pictures of her. She was always happy to pose for me. That was her favorite thing to do she told me. And I loved it too. We were so happy then. I wanted to be an artist before the war. But the war changed everything. Father wanted me to be a great soldier like him but you see how that turned out. Why my eyes? It could have been my ears or my legs but why my eyes? I can't live without my eyes. They are how I live. They are everything to me.


(MAC sighs)


MAC
You got anything else in that jacket kid?


ZEB
Ah… Some coins.


MAC
That'll do. Thanks, kid. I'm gonna go get us a horse.


ZEB
A horse, my kingdom for a horse.


(MAC feels a bit of guilt and gives him a flask)


MAC
Here's my flask. Drink it. It'll keep you warm. Here's an extra jacket too. I'll try to be quick.


ZEB
Thank you, Mac. Safe journey. I'll pray for you.


(MAC runs off. ZEB drinks then coughs and touches the picture of Maria)


ZEB (CONT.)
My angel... I miss you, Maria. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me… You are with me… And comfort me my angel.


(WOMAN IN WHITE returns and embraces him. ZEB goes limp in her arms)


END OF SCRIPT



Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.