Saturday, November 4, 2017

Between Good and Evil Scene 10 stage play script by D. M. Larson scene Superhero Support Group

Between Good and Evil 

Scene 10

by D. M. Larson 

ISBN-13: 978-1502982308




or

Purchase a low cost PDF: https://sellfy.com/p/s3B1/

***

SCENE: "SUPERHERO SUPPORT GROUP"

(Spotlight comes up on a Superhero, Speedo, sitting in a chair.  A figure sits near him but in the darkness)

SPEEDO
I'm fast... so fast no one can see me.  I thought I had something special... something I could help people with, but it ended up being a joke.  Everyone started calling me Speedo.  That's one of them guy's swim suits... not a flattering one either... Have you seen a guy in a speedo?  Yuck.

DOCTOR
How fast are you?

SPEEDO
You know that pen that was in your pocket a second ago?  Here it is.

DOCTOR
That is fast.

(Doctor thinks)

DOCTOR (CONT.)
How about a chocolate fudge candy bar... wait... with almonds.

(Speedo holds it out to her)

SPEEDO
That's what everyone wants me to do... fetch stuff... I should be called Errand Boy.

DOCTOR
And that's why you want to get rid of your power... this burden that haunts you... it ruins your life.

SPEEDO
Yes.

DOCTOR
I can do that for you... I can take away this hardship in your life... this curse... forever.

(*Dramatic superhero music* Speedo and Doctor exit)

Scene 1. Waiting room. Day.

(Lights come up on a group of people dressed as superheroes sitting in a row of chairs in a waiting room)

DOGBOY
Rough.

CATCHICK
Hiss.

DOGBOY
I wasn't barking.

CATCHICK
Oh.

DOGBOY
I was thinking how rough of a day I've had.

CATCHICK
That's why you're here.

DOGBOY
But I have things to do... crime to fight.  I can't wait around here all day.

CATCHICK
You don't have a choice.

SMACK
I can't take it anymore!  I have to get out of here.

(Doctor enters)

DOCTOR
Sit down.

SMACK
You can't stop me.  I'm Smack the Superstrong!  I will smite you!

DOGBOY
Nice tagline!

(Smack swings at Doctor but she backs away and then grabs his ear and twists.  Smack falls to the floor in pain)

DOCTOR
There will be no smiting, nor biting.

DOGBOY
Grrr!

DOCTOR
Nor scratching.

CATCHICK
Hisss!

DOCTOR
Everyone please wait your turn and no more disturbances.

(Doctor lets go of Smack.  There is a ding and Doctor exits)

DOGBOY
How did she stop you?

SMACK
I don't know.

CATCHICK
Mind powers.  She's got mind powers more powerful than you can imagine.

(Shade comes from behind the chairs)

SHADE
Our powers are useless around her.

DOGBOY
Where'd you come from?

SHADE
I am Shade.  I came from the shadows.

CATCHICK
More like from behind the chairs.  How long have you been back there?

SHADE
Long enough to know what's going on here.

DOGBOY
What is going on?

SHADE
The doctor is removing our powers.

SMACK
What?

SHADE
Not only can she stop us.  She can take away our powers... (dramatic pause) ...forever!

DOGBOY
Nice dramatic pause.

SMACK
This is terrible.  I'd be nothing without my super strength!  I can't go back to being some loser working at D-Mart.

CATCHICK
Personally I'm tired of all the hairballs.  She can have my powers.

DOGBOY
I do get tired of smelling everything.

(DOGBOY sniffs around and looks at Shade and makes a face)

DOGBOY (CONT.)
You smell like you've been hiding there a LONG time.

SHADE
We have to escape.

SMACK
Or smite the doc!

DOGBOY
But how?

SHADE
Shhh!  She's coming!

(Shade hides behind the chairs.  The others sit in their chairs.  The Doctor enters with another superhero)


DOCTOR
You'll never have to worry about flying again.

CAPER
I guess it's time to hang up my cape.

DOCTOR
Stay off the rooftops. Or we'll have to have another session.

CAPER
I'm done.  Please.  I promise.

DOCTOR
Very well.  No need to schedule a followup then.

CAPER
Please.  Never again.
DOCTOR
Next!

(Catchick stands.  Dogboy grabs her arm but she hisses and pulls away)

CATCHICK
Look.  I want to be able to go the beach without getting the urge to use the bathroom.  I want to go swimming again.  I am tired of all those naps.  Please doctor.  Take me next.

DOCTOR
Walk this way.

(Catchick follows Doctor off.  Caper starts to go but Smack grabs him.  Shade comes out)

SMACK
The doctor took your powers!

CAPER
I think so.

SHADE
Try flying.

CAPER
No, I promised.

SHADE
Get on that chair and try.

CAPER
I don't want to go back in there.  I promised never to fly again. I won't do it.  Please don't make me. It was horrible.

SMACK
What did the doctor do?

CAPER
I can't say.  It... it was too terrible.

SHADE
Get on that chair.  I must know if she really took your powers.

CAPER
No.

SHADE
Do it or else.

CAPER
Or else what?

SHADE
I'll haunt you until the day you die.  You know I can be pretty scary.

CAPER
The doctor is scary.  You're just super annoying.  Fine.  Then you'll let me go?

SHADE
Of course.

(Caper gets on a chair.  They watch and Caper jumps and falls)

CAPER
There.  Happy?

SHADE
The Doctor did it.  She really can take our powers.

(Smack grabs Caper)

SMACK
Let's try the window to be sure.

(Smack throws Caper through a window.  He sticks his head out.  Caper screams.  Then there is a thud)

SMACK (Cont.)
Nope. Can't fly.

DOGBOY
Did you have to do that?

SMACK
Yes, yes I did.

SHADE
We had to make sure his powers were really gone or if it was the temporary power jam of being near the doctor.

(Dogboy looks out window)

DOGBOY
But still... did you have to do that?

SMACK
He landed on that old lady.  He'll live.

DOGBOY
What about the old lady?

SMACK
Good point.

(Doctor comes out)

DOCTOR
I saw something out my window that concerned me.

(Shade points at Smack)

SHADE
He did it.

(Shade runs and hides behind chairs)

DOCTOR
Are we a little out of control?

SMACK
Yes you are.  It's smiting time!

(Everyone goes in to slow motion.  Smack swings slowly at the Doctor who dodges slowly. Smack falls past doctor who gives him a vulcan neck pinch.  Everything goes back the regular motion and Smack passes out.  Shade jumps up and points)

SHADE
Alien!  The doctor is an alien.  That was an alien neck pinch.

DOCTOR
Do I need to do it to you too?

SHADE
No, no... fading away.

(Shade goes behind chairs)

DOGBOY
What is going on here?

DOCTOR
You all have a problem and I have the cure.

DOGBOY
Problem?

DOCTOR
Don't you feel a great burden?  Don't you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders?  You feel like you have to deal with all the world's evils.  But I can change all that.  No more burdens.  No more worries.

(There is a ding.  Doctor leaves)

SHADE
Don't listen to the Doctor.  It's part of the mind control.  You must resist.

DOGBOY
I understand what she means though.  It gets so hard sometimes.  I feel like there is so much evil in the world and there's nothing I can do to defeat it.

SHADE
Snap out of it!

(Shade slaps Dogboy)

DOGBOY
Grr!

(Doctor comes out with Catchick)

DOCTOR
How do you feel?

CATCHICK
Awesome!  I'm going surfing!  Hang ten dudes!

(Catchick steps on Smack and exits.  Smack wakes up all dazed.  Dogboy helps him in to a chair)

DOCTOR
The weight of the world is off her shoulders.  She's happy now.

SHADE
Being a hero isn't about happiness.

DOCTOR
Then what is it about?

SHADE
It's about changing the world and making it a better place.

DOCTOR
And have you changed the world?  Is it a better place?

SHADE
Well, not yet.

DOCTOR
Anyone can change the world.  You don't have to have superpowers.

SHADE
I am sooo tired of hearing about that Batguy.  Give me a few billion dollars for gadgets and I'd be pretty powerful too.

DOCTOR
I'm saying that ordinary people can make a difference in this world.

(The heroes look at each other a moment and then laugh)

SHADE
Ordinary people... making a difference?  HA!

DOCTOR
What about teachers, nurses, police officers?  They all make a difference.

SMACK
Uh...

DOGBOY
She's got a point.

SHADE
Don't listen to her.  She's twisting your minds.

DOCTOR
Or maybe I'm the hero and I'm the one fixing problems.

SMACK
Uh... I hate thinking.  My brain hurts.  Too much talking.  Not enough smiting.

SHADE
Blah, blah, blah... her words will destroy us!

DOCTOR
Or maybe they'll make you better.

SHADE
You'll have to catch me first.

(Shade jumps behind chairs again)

DOCTOR
So who's next?

DOGBOY
Will the world really be okay without Supers?

DOCTOR
It's time for the world to solve their own problems.

DOGBOY
People are so demanding.  Always wanting more and more.  Now they just expect me to help.  They hardly ever say thank you anymore.

SMACK
Lift this, crush that, open that jar... I feel so used sometimes.

DOGBOY
A friendly thank you would do or even a nice greeting card.

SMACK
Or cookies.  I wish someone would bake me some cookies.  That would be all the thanks I need.

(Dogboy and Smack start to tear up)

DOCTOR
Supers are the ultimate co-dependents.  Always looking for problems.  Never happy if there isn't a crisis.  Getting themselves involved with demanding citizens who don't appreciate them for who they are.  You can never do enough to please them.

(Dogboy and Smack are crying loudly now)

DOGBOY
It's true.  It's never enough.

DOCTOR
Come in, friends.  We'll take care of all this for you.  No more stress.  No more worries.

(Doctor takes Dogboy and Smack in to office.  Shade comes out of hiding)

SHADE
And then there was one.  We have finally met our match.

(Lights fade to black)



SCENE 2
In the waiting room, Catchick now sits no longer in her costume.  She looks like an ordinary citizen.  Dogboy enters, also looking like a regular person.

DOGBOY
Hey there.  How are you?

CATCHICK
Fine.

(Dogboy is willing to chat but Catchick is not.  She looks at a magazine.  Smack enters looking normal as well but very grumpy.  Smack sits next to Dogboy)

DOGBOY (CONT.)
Hey. Do any good smiting lately?

SMACK
No... do I know you?

DOGBOY
I'm... I was... Dogboy.

SMACK
So, how are things for you?

DOGBOY
I'm not chasing cars anymore.  That's been nice.  How are you?

SMACK
Horrible.  Lost my job.

DOGBOY
What?  Why?

SMACK
I was a security guard at a carnival.  But losing my superness made me lose my edge.  I just couldn't do my job anymore.  It's like I lost something... a piece of myself that made me better...

CATCHICK
Your spirit.

SMACK
Yeah!

CATCHICK
Our spirit, our mojo... gone.

DOGBOY
So... you're not okay?

CATCHICK
I'm having a hard time fitting in.  It's hard to be normal.

SMACK
Totally.  Being crazy was so much easier.

CATCHICK
At least I had an identity.  I don't even know who I am now.

SMACK
Totally.

CATCHICK
What about you Dogboy?

DOGBOY
Doug.  My name is Doug.

CATCHICK
So how is life... Doug?

DOGBOY
It's been better.  It's not perfect but it's been better.  I'm not living in my parent's basement anymore.  I have a job.  Not a great job but I feel good taking care of myself.  I got so wrapped up in helping others I wasn't helping myself, but now I am.  And I feel better and people are treating me better too.

CATCHICK
Must be nice.

DOGBOY
But I thought you were happy going to the beach, surfing... no more hairballs?

CATCHICK
But I can't swim.  Nearly drowned.  And when I did learn to swim... there was this shark.  Catchick would have had that shark for lunch but as Sissy Jones, I was nearly eaten.

SMACK
Sissy?

CATCHICK
Yes, my real name is Sissy.  I hate it.

SMACK
My real name is Marvin.  The name Marvin strikes fear in no one.

DOGBOY
So you both miss being Supers?

SMACK
I miss being special.

(Shade appears from behind the chairs)

SHADE
Then be super again.

(Dogboy and Smack jump up in surprise)

DOGBOY
You're still hiding?

SHADE
I'm trying to bring down the doctor and her evil plan to rid the world of Supers.

CATCHICK
But we're not Supers.  We're all a bunch of nut jobs.

SHADE
That's what she wants you to think.

(Doctor enters.  Shade hides)

DOCTOR
Thank you all for coming to the support group today.  We'll meet out here today.  Have a seat everyone. I want to all talk together so we can help each other.

(Doctor and others put chairs in a half circle.  Shade's hiding spot is revealed)

DOCTOR (CONT.)
Please join us, Jack.

SMACK
Jack?  Dang... cool name.

SHADE
I am the Shade!

DOCTOR
Jack here hasn't been through the same therapy as the rest of you.  You have to be willing to change for the therapy to work, but I was hoping if he saw how well the rest of you were doing, then he'd be convinced this is for the best.

SHADE
You'll never defeat me, Doctor.  Never!

DOCTOR
Then you won't mind sitting and listening if you have nothing to fear.

SHADE
Fear?  I'm not afraid.

DOCTOR
Prove it.  Sit.

(Shade reluctantly joins the others in the half circle and sits)

DOCTOR (CONT.)
I appreciate you all coming today.  I've formed this support group to help you through this transition period to a normal life.

CATCHICK
What is this?  Crazy Anonymous?

SHADE
Super Anonymous.  Amazing Anonymous.  League of Extraordinary Anonymity.

SMACK
Cool.

DOCTOR
Not cool.  No leagues.  Nothing amazing... just regular people sitting down together.

CATCHICK
Amazing was so much better.

SMACK
I lost my job, Doc.  How is that good?

DOCTOR
It takes time.

SMACK
Time?  Much longer and I'll be living in a box.

SHADE
See Doctor.  Your evil plan only brings doom upon us.

DOCTOR
You don't feel doomed, do you Doug?

DOGBOY
No... things are a little better.

SHADE
But not special.

CATCHICK
Exactly... people might have thought I was crazy but they respected me.

SMACK
R-E-C-T-P... that's what it means to me... you said it, sister.

DOCTOR
Sissy.

SMACK
Whatever.

CATCHICK
And I felt like I had a purpose.  Now I feel empty.

DOCTOR
That's why we're here.  To fill you with something new.

SHADE
More experiments!  I knew it! She'll replace our blood with alien goo!

DOCTOR
I have developed a twelve step program for all of you.

CATCHICK
You're kidding, right?

DOCTOR
Step one... we admit we do not have super powers and that believe in super powers had made our lives unmanageable.

SMACK
Too many words.

CATCHICK
But some of our lives are not better.

DOCTOR
They will be soon.

(Caper bursts in to the room)

CAPER
Where is the doctor?!

CATCHICK
Another satisfied customer.

DOCTOR
What seems to be the matter?  Are you here to join our group?

CAPER
You ruined my life.

CATCHICK
That is the theme of the day.

DOCTOR
Now Carl.  Calm down and join the circle.

CAPER
Your circle of evil!

SHADE
Well said.

CAPER
Shut up!  All of you.  Just shut... up!

SMACK
Good rage. Nice.

CAPER
You all prattle on like villains.

CATCHICK
Hey now!

CAPER
Zip it!

CATCHICK
Or else what, fly boy?

CAPER
Or this!

(He throws open his cape and reveals a bomb.  Everyone jumps up and backs away)

DOCTOR
Carl, please.  Let's talk about this.

CAPER
Talk, talk, talk. That's all you do... talk, talk, talk... so much my head hurts! Now it's my turn. Tick, talk, tick, talk.

SHADE
Nice play on words.

CAPER
Thanks.  I should have listened to you Shade.  You were right about the doctor here.  She's pure evil.

SHADE
Let's take her in.

CAPER
No, I'm going to be rid of her forever.  Rid of all of you.  Throwing me out a window.  How could you?!

SHADE
You don't need to kill anyone.  We'll let justice take it's course.

CAPER
They need proof, Shade.  They need evidence.  She'll just sweet talk her way out of it.

DOCTOR
Carl, I'm a doctor... nothing else.

(CAPER holds up trigger for bomb)

CAPER
Tick, talk! Tick, talk!

CATCHICK
Doc... I think that's your cue to shut up!

CAPER
You can go, Shade.  I have no quarrel with you.

(Shade pauses and looks at others.  They look at him pleadingly)

SHADE
Okay.

(Shade runs out)

CATCHICK
Some hero he turned out to be.

CAPER
Now, Doc.  Give us back our powers.

DOCTOR
I can't.

CAPER
Liar!

SMACK
Don't make him angry, Doc.

(During all this, Dogboy is making his way around behind Caper unnoticed)

CAPER
I'm way past angry.  I'm beyond rage.

SMACK
He got my power!

CAPER
I'm ready blow you all sky high... it's your play, Doctor.

CATCHICK
Do something, Doc!

DOCTOR
Let the rest of them go, Carl...

CAPER
Caper!  Call me Caper.

DOCTOR
I refuse to call you by a name that isn't you.

CATCHICK
Come on, Doc!  Humor the guy.

DOCTOR
I refuse to back down on my principles even in the face of death...

CATCHICK
Great.
  
CAPER
The Doctor is trying score points for the afterlife which she'll soon be seeing.

(Caper holds up the trigger with a shaking hand.  Catchick sees Dogboy circling and helps distract Caper)

CATCHICK
Wait!  Can I have one last request?

CAPER
What?

CATCHICK
I'm young... I haven't lived my life.

CAPER
What are you talking about?

CATCHICK
There's so much life I want to live.  So much I want to do... did I really do you such a wrong that I can't have one little request before I die?

CAPER
I don't know...

CATCHICK
Please...

CAPER
What is it?

CATCHICK
It's embarrassing... can I whisper it in your ear?

CAPER
Um... I guess so...

(Catchick leans in to whisper in his ear and gets hold of his arm.  Dogboy makes his move.  Sirens are heard)

CAPER (CONT.)
Sirens!  Shade!

CATCHICK
Now!

(Catchick wrestles Caper's arm and Dogboy tackles Caper to the ground.  The Doctor cowers between some chairs)

DOGBOY
Got him!

(Smash is at the window)

SMASH
Shade brought the cops.

(Dogboy struggles to get bomb off)

DOGBOY
Come hold this guy down for us, Smash.

SMASH
I'll do you one better.

(Smash comes over and rips bomb off Caper, picks him up, carries him to window)

CAPER
No!  Wait!

SMASH
Tic toc, times up!

(Smash tosses him out the window.  Catchick runs to window)

CATCHICK
Catch coppers!

(Dogboy, Catchick and Smash laugh and cheer)

DOGBOY
We should form a team!

CATCHICK
The Superhero Support Group.

SMASH
I like it.

(They notice the Doctor cowering trying to make chairs in to a little fort)

DOGBOY
She doesn't look so good.

CATCHICK
She needs a doctor.

(They laugh and exit to dramatic superhero music.  As lights fade)

DOCTOR
I'll get you next time.

(Doctor starts with a weak crazy laugh that gets stronger and stronger as the lights go to black until it amplifies and echoes)

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.