Sunday, November 26, 2017

Scene 6 and 7 "When Mel Fell for Nell" full length romantic comedy script

SCENE 6 - DUMMY

MEL
This is not me.
(Points to self.)
This is me over here.

(Points to dummy)

He can’t say the right thing so I
have to speak for him. You know
those people who always say the
wrong thing at the worst moment in
the worst possible way? Well that’s
me... Well, him... Us... We. Not
the royal we either.

(Turns to dummy like he said something)

Babbling? Yes... Thanks dummy... I
will get to the point. I didn’t
mean to stop talking to you... I
didn’t mean to turn in to him over
there... But I just wanted to stop
... Stop before I did any more
damage. It feels like my words
cause so much destruction. It’s
like a flower in the wind. You love
the gentle breeze of my words when
I say sweet things to you... You
open yourself up and bloom for me
in my kindest moments. But the
harsh words break you and tear you
apart like a storm. My words storm
and rage over you like some black
cloud raining over us ripping the
gentle petals from you. Like a
flower caught in a tornado.
I want to whisper sweet things
again. I want to nourish you and
help you grow your beautiful
blossom again, but I get so scared
... I become so afraid of what I
will do. You deserve kindness...
Upon deserve beauty. You deserve
loving words. I want that too. But
I feel silenced. I feel crippled
inside. I feel broken.
There are so many things I want to
say to you though. So many
wonderful things I feel for you...
See in you... Get from you.
I feel better because of you. Like
you healed me in some way. I felt
sick emotionally before I had you
in my life. I felt spiritually
dead. You brought me back to life,
resurrected the spirit inside me,
healed me. You’re my angel. That’s
what you are to me. An angel. So
delicate. Such a pure spirit. No
hardness hiding the goodness and
purity. You leave yourself open to
me, giving your full self to me,
hiding nothing. You give everything
to me... And keep nothing for
yourself. You give me your wings so
I can fly. You’d remove your heart
just to keep mine beating.
You are the greatest gift that has
ever been given to me. You complete
me. You make me whole.
I wish I could speak those words to
you.

(Looks at dummy)

I wish this dummy could say what I
feel.

END OF SCENE



SCENE 7 - LATE

(Carl is a service station worker who is sitting with a
clipboard waiting for customers. Mel rushes in)

MEL
I’m so sorry I’m late.

CARL
What time was your appointment?

(Mel hands over his keys to Carl. During the following, Carl
tags the keys and then can hand off the keys to another
worker or he can rush the keys off stage or put it on a line
and push the keys on the line off stage)

MEL
It was 30 minutes ago. I’m never
late. I’m so sorry about this. I’d
understand if you can fit me in now.

CARL
No worries we got you covered.

MEL
Now I’m late for work. I hate being
late for work. It’s not that I will
get fired; it’s more that they look
at you a different way. They give
you this look... you’re not as good
as us, or we have one up on you, or
we have something we can use
against you. I always try to play
it straight. Always on time. Never
late. I’m so late today. I
sometimes wish I could be a
slacker. What’s that like?

(Carl has been sitting relaxed, listening, eating a
doughnut)

CARL
Hard to say. Need a ride to work?

MEL
Will it be awhile? Something wrong
with my car? Figures. Everything is
going wrong. Everything’s so right
then it goes so wrong. Well, that’s
not true. I hate to sound that way.
Is it really that bad?

CARL
You bring in your car pretty
regular. I don’t see a need to worry.

MEL
That’s me. Mr. Do-right. Most my
life it was Mr. Do-right But it was
getting to me. Really getting to
me. I thought I was going to have a
heart attack. How could following
the rules so perfectly make me so
perfectly stressed? Shouldn’t right
be... right? But it didn’t feel
right. I was so unhappy. I just
wanted to be happy for once. Just
have one little bit of happiness
for the first time in my life.

(Mel pauses and looks at Carl. Carl is listening, quite
curious about what Mel is talking about)

MEL (CONT.)
You want to know why I’m late?

CARL
Of course.

MEL
I am late because my girlfriend is late.

CARL
Late? Ohhhh... late. I see.

MEL
Yeah, that kind of late. The kind
of late that changes your life and
you can’t go back.

CARL
Well... you can but...

MEL
No. No way. We’re not considering
that. Never.

CARL
So what are you going to do?

MEL
She really wants the baby. She
actually thought she couldn’t have
one and she’s so happy she can.
Well, she’s freaking out, but happy.

CARL
Makes sense.

MEL
I want to be happy to, but all
these worries keep making it so
hard. That’s not fair to her...

CARL
Or yourself.
MEL

I tend to forget about me.

CARL
Not a good idea. If we don’t take
care of ourselves then we can’t
help anyone else.

MEL
Especially not a baby. Am I ready
to be a father?

CARL
It changes your life.

MEL
I’ve never changed anything. I
always do the same thing. I get up
at 5am. Eat the same breakfast. Get
to work the same time... usually.
Get my car serviced once a month.

CARL
I’m thankful for that one.

MEL
But this... this changes everything.

CARL
Get ready for an adventure.

MEL
Adventure... That’s a scary word.

CARL
Really? I love that word. I want
every day to be an adventure.

MEL
Every day! I’d go crazy. Every day
I want the same thing. I want to
know what’s coming.

CARL
Do you want it? Need it? Or just do
it because seems right? Before
today, what was the last thing you
did that wasn’t planned or
scheduled?

MEL
Kissed a beautiful woman I didn’t
even know... or rather got kissed
by her.

CARL
How did it feel?

MEL
Scary... crazy... But it was
memorable... the best kiss ever.
I’ll never forget it. And I never
stopped kissing her. I guess that’s
why she’s late.

CARL
Do that think it changed you?

MEL
Totally.

CARL
For the better?

MEL
Yes. Things have never been the
same. And they’ve gotten better. I
actually feel happy sometimes. I
never really felt happy before. But
now I do. I didn’t know I was
missing some happy until I got some.

CARL
Kids do that too. They make every
day a new experience. And it’s
amazing to see the world through
their eyes. I think we learn more
from them than they do from us.
You’re in for an adventure my friend.

(Carl gets the keys returned the same way he sent them)

MEL
There’s that word again. Adventure.
Maybe it’s time I had some in my
life. Playing it safe got me
nothing but a job I hate and an
ulcer. Thanks for listening. I kind
of unloaded on you.

CARL
No problemo. Happy to help. Here’s
the bill. Therapy would have been
cheaper I think.

(Carl hands over the bill)

MEL
Funny.

CARL
I thought so. Hopefully you’re not
too late for work.

MEL
I’m calling in sick.

CARL
You’re kidding?

MEL
I have a beautiful woman to kiss
and a baby to celebrate.

(Mel exits)

CARL
Don’t forget to bring us all some
cigars! I wonder if anyone actually
does that anymore? My cousin handed
out lollipops when his kid was
born. I wanted to punch him.

END OF SCENE

GO TO PART 8 & 9
OR
BACK TO START OF PLAY
OR
BUY A LOW COST PDF AT SELLFY.COM
OR
BUY THE BOOK ON AMAZON.COM

ISBN-13: 978-1512007183


full length romantic comedy script

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.