Sunday, November 26, 2017

Scene 4 and 5 "When Mel Fell for Nell" full length romantic comedy script

SCENE 4 - BREAKING HEART

NELL
You want to break up... sure... no
problem... yeah, I wanted to break
up too. I’ve been thinking about it
from the day we met. This is a
person I will need to break up
with. But hey... you beat me to it.
No hard feelings.

(Shrugs and turns away)

Be friends?

(Turns with a huge smile)

Sure! I’d love to be friends.
That’s the natural evolution of
most relationships. Have a fling
and then boom... friends. I’m sure
some of the best friendships
started that way.

(Overly enthusiastic)

I look forward to hanging out with
you, buddy. Let’s meet up and go to
Hooters or football or
something some time and hang out.
(yells) That would be GREAT!

(Quiet/angry/eyes closed)

What? Upset? No, I’m not upset. Why
would I be... upset...

(Starts to cry)

No, I’m not crying. I said, I’m not
crying!

(Bursts in to tears)

I don’t want your pity. I don’t
want a shoulder to cry on. I
want... to be left...

(Yells)

...ALONE! Don’t you get it. I want
to be alone!

(Pauses... sadly reflects)

I’ve always wanted to be alone. I
never wanted to get close to
anyone. I never wanted us to get
close. And I guess I was closer to
you than you were to me.

(Turns angry)

Don’t lie to me. I know you don’t
mean it. I don’t want to hear any
more lies! I don’t want you to make
something up so you can get out of
this. I want it all laid out on the
table.

(Yells)

I want to know the truth!

(Long pause... cries... then manages to say)
I want to know why you are breaking
my heart.

END OF SCENE



SCENE 5 - ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

(Mel is outside Nell’s house. Her bedroom is on the second
floor. He throws some pebbles up to get her attention [or he
can have a boom box playing a song and holding it over his
head]. Nell comes out annoyed)

NELL
What are you doing out here?

MEL
I wanted to say hi.

NELL
Hi... bye.

MEL
You look good.

NELL
Yeah, so?

MEL
Very good.

NELL
Stop it.

MEL
What?

NELL
We broke up, remember?

MEL
Yeah.

NELL
YOU broke up with me.

MEL
Yeah... you still look good.

NELL
What’s wrong?

MEL
I miss you.

NELL
Well... I could be mean about it...
and take pleasure you in saying
that... and torment you... but... I
miss you too...

MEL
You do?

NELL
Yeah...

MEL
Can I come in?

NELL
No.

MEL
Please.

NELL
Go away.

MEL
But you miss me.

NELL
Not that much.

MEL
I guess I shouldn’t have gotten you
anything then.

NELL
You got me something?

MEL
Never mind... I’ll go.

NELL
But...you got me something.

MEL
It’s not much.

NELL
What is it?

MEL
You want to see?

NELL
Yes.

MEL
Can I come in?

NELL
No.

MEL
Please.

NELL
Hold it up and I’ll grab it.

MEL
Really?

NELL
Yeah.

(Mel tries to reach but they can’t so he starts to climb up.
She manages to grab it and he falls)

MEL
Ah!

NELL
You okay?

MEL
...maybe.

NELL
You’re hurt?

MEL
...no... not much.

NELL
You look hurt.

MEL
No... I’m fine.

NELL
Why are you still in the bushes
then?

MEL
It’s comfortable. Think I’ll just
stay here a bit... enjoy the gift.

NELL
I’m coming down.

MEL
No, no... I don’t want to bug
you... see you later... I’m sure
I’ll be gone by morning. One way or another.

(Nell appears out front door and goes to bushes. She
struggles to get him out)

NELL
You are hurt.

MEL
That’s not blood... that’s
uh...ketchup... had some fries on
the way over.

NELL
I didn’t think you fell that far.

MEL
I’m accident prone.

NELL
I know. You need a keeper.

MEL
Want to be my keeper again?

(He snuggles up to her)

NELL
No.

(She drops him)

MEL
Ow.

NELL
Sorry.

(She helps him up)

MEL
You don’t have to be nice to me
anymore.

NELL
I’ll always be nice to you.

MEL
Really? But I broke up with you.

NELL
That’s right. I guess I should be a
little meaner. Good night.

MEL
You’re leaving?

NELL
You’re not hurt that badly.

MEL
Right.

NELL
See ya.

(She shuts the front door. Mel tries standing and is in
pain. His leg is probably broken. He struggles to walk but
fails gloriously and falls. He crawls off dramatically.
Suddenly there is a gasp of happiness and Nell rushes out on
to the balcony)

NELL (CONT.)
Mel? Mel, you there?

MEL (OFF)
Maybe.

NELL
Where did you find these?
(Mel tries to walk in like he isn’t hurt)

MEL

Oh those? No big deal. Just found them.

NELL
These are my favorite chocolates...
they only sell these in Europe.

MEL
Oh, really?

NELL
Shut up. You knew.

MEL
You always carry on about them.
Always wanted to get them for you.

NELL
Why now?

MEL
Why now...

(Mel turns sadly and starts to walk away and falls
dramatically)

NELL
Oh no.

(Nell runs down. She runs out front door to him)

MEL
I’m sorry. I didn’t want to do this
to you.

NELL
Then why are you?

MEL
Because I miss you. I thought I was
doing the right thing, but I miss you.

NELL
I miss you too... but it hurt.

MEL
I know.

NELL
You said so many things that hurt.

MEL
I thought you’d be better off
without me.

NELL
And you thought you’d be better off
without me.

MEL
But I’m not.

(Nell holds him)

NELL
What am I going to do with you?

MEL
What am I going to do without you?

NELL
How about I just sit here and and hold
you for awhile?

MEL
I’d like that.

(Nell holds Mel closer. They look at the stars)

END OF SCENE

GO TO PART 6 & 7
OR
BACK TO START OF PLAY
OR
BUY A LOW COST PDF AT SELLFY.COM
OR
BUY THE BOOK ON AMAZON.COM

ISBN-13: 978-1512007183


full length romantic comedy script

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.