Sunday, November 10, 2019

WHEN THINGS GET DIFFICULT screenplay script

“WHEN THINGS GET DIFFICULT”

Low Cost PDF of script: https://sellfy.com/p/ZzTm/

Word document version:
https://sellfy.com/p/8xqs/


EXT. GARDEN - DAY

HOLLY sits in a chair in a backyard garden with vines and flowers. She holds a musical instrument. She clearly doesn’t like practicing. She is trying a series of notes over and over and doing terrible.

HOLLY
I hate this.

She tosses the instrument in frustration into some bushes. The bushes yelp in reply.

BUSH
Ouch!

HOLLY jumps up suddenly and backs away from the BUSH.

HOLLY
Did you just… I thought I heard…

A strange forest creature covered in leaves and branches emerges from the bush. He is angry.

BUSH
You hurt me!

BUSH has the instrument in his hand and charges toward her. HOLLY stumbles back, afraid of the creature.

HOLLY
Please, stop, no! I didn’t mean to.

BUSH stops and wags a finger at her.

BUSH
I’m going to teach you a lesson.

HOLLY
Don’t threaten me.

BUSH
Too late. It’s already been done. Go! And never return.

BUSH pushes her into the bushes behind her and they engulf her. He grabs for BUSH and manages to get her instrument but it falls with him into the bushes.

EXT. FOREST - DAY

HOLLY tumbles through branches and leaves and gets tangled up. She struggles to get free and finds herself somewhere strange and unfamiliar. The forest has twisted trees and foliage of unnatural colors.

HOLLY
What happened? What is this place?
An animal like creature, part animal, part human peaks from behind a tree.

FAWN
This is not a what.

HOLLY sees the strange animal and slowly approaches.

HOLLY
How about where am I?

FAWN
This is not a where. This is a why.

HOLLY A why? What do you mean?

FAWN
Too many whats. Not enough whys.

HOLLY You’re talking so weird. Everything here is so strange.

FAWN
And do you know why?

HOLLY
I don’t. I don’t know any of this.

FAWN
Well, my name is Fawn. Now you know me.

HOLLY
I’m Holly.

FAWN
Nice to meet you, Holly.

FAWN gets excited when she sees HOLLY’s musical instrument.

FAWN
Is that…

FAWN reaches for the instrument and HOLLY gladly gives it to her.

FAWN
It’s glorious.

HOLLY
You can keep it. I don’t want it anymore.

FAWN
Why? It’s amazing.

FAWN begins to sing and the instrument plays in reply on it’s own.

HOLLY
How did you do that?

FAWN
I speak to things and they speak to me.

FAWN sings again and the instrument joins her. Suddenly there is a roar. A MONSTER runs out and FAWN drops the instrument and hides. HOLLY falls and can’t get away. The MONSTER runs up to the instrument.

MONSTER
What is that horrible sound?

MONSTER picks up the instrument.

MONSTER
Who brought this here? This is forbidden.

HOLLY
I’m so sorry, sir. I didn’t know…

MONSTER
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

HOLLY
I would be happy to go and leave here. I just don’t know how.

MONSTER
No one leaves here. Once you come, you don’t go.

HOLLY
Why not? Why can’t I go?

MONSTER
That’s the rule.

HOLLY
Well, it’s a stupid rule.

MONSTER
No rules are stupid. Rules are good.

HOLLY
They’re only good for those who make them.

MONSTER
Hmm… but rules are rules. And you broke them. So you must be punished.

FAWN pokes her head out.

FAWN
Wait. It wasn’t her. It was me.

MONSTER grabs FAWN.

MONSTER
Then you shall face judgement.

MONSTER takes FAWN. HOLLY tries to pursue them, but MONSTER pushes her down and exits with FAWN. HOLLY lies on the ground hurt and crying. She picks up her instrument and gets a weird look on her face. HOLLY plays her instrument badly. Then she plays louder. The MONSTER roars in the distance. HOLLY plays even louder. The MONSTER’s roar is louder and closer. HOLLY keeps playing. The MONSTER stumbles in.

MONSTER
Stop! You’re hurting my ears!

HOLLY
Not until you change the rules.

MONSTER
Never!

HOLLY plays even louder. The MONSTER is in pain.

MONSTER
Fine! Whatever! What rule do want changed? You want to go home? Then go!

HOLLY considers this. But instead she says…

HOLLY I want you to allow music to be played.

MONSTER
Wouldn’t you rather go home?

HOLLY I would rather you release Fawn.

MONSTER snorts and waves to FAWN who runs to HOLLY. The MONSTER leaves.

FAWN
You helped me.

HOLLY I did. That was so unfair.

FAWN
But you lost your chance to go home.

HOLLY
I couldn’t go knowing someone was in trouble because of this stupid instrument of mine. It’s a curse.

FAWN
It could be a blessing if you let it.

HOLLY What do you mean? Or should I ask why?

FAWN
Why indeed.

FAWN starts to go.

HOLLY Wait. Are you leaving?

FAWN
I must go.

HOLLY Don’t leave me. Please.

FAWN
It’s time.

FAWN runs away. HOLLY starts to go after her but can’t see where she went.

HOLLY
Wait!

HOLLY falls to the ground.

HOLLY
That’s what I get for trying to help.

HOLLY is alone and sad. She takes her instrument and throws it.

HOLLY
All because of you.

The woods grow darker. HOLLY cries.

HOLLY
Because of me.

Suddenly there is a little light and her instrument starts to play.

HOLLY
I’m always giving up.

The instrument plays more and the light grows.

HOLLY
I hate it when things get difficult.

The instrument plays more as does the light.

HOLLY
But there is only one way to get better.

HOLLY picks up her instrument and the light becomes blindingly bright and HOLLY can’t see for a moment. She runs and stumbles through the bushes and suddenly finds herself back in her garden.

HOLLY
I’m home.

She settles into her chair with her instrument and gets out some sheet music. She takes a deep breath and tries again. The instrument plays beautifully in reply. FAWN peaks through the bushes and smiles and then dances happily nearby.

END OF SCRIPT

Low Cost PDF of script: https://sellfy.com/p/ZzTm/

Word document version of screenplay:
https://sellfy.com/p/8xqs/

****************
COPYRIGHT
These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2019.

When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost the text online in any way).

Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps

If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:

https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/

This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.