Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Nerdiot Romantic Comedy Screenplay Script

Romantic Comedy Screenplay / Script

THE NERDIOT


Buy a low cost PDF at https://sellfy.com/p/ZkXQ/

Or purchase a Word document version: https://sellfy.com/p/Zj5D/

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(DEVIN is sitting in a cafe at a table alone. He has a sketch pad and is sketching a woman sitting in the chair across from him. He lifts and lowers the notepad. Everything matches the actual setting except for the woman is not there. He looks outside and sees the woman in his picture standing at a bus stop)

STELLA
(from behind)
I like your picture.

DEVIN
(closes his notepad embarrassed)
Thanks.

STELLA
Would you like your usual?

DEVIN
My usual?

STELLA
Latte and bagel lightly toasted. Or is it
a breakfast sandwich kind of day?

DEVIN
Do I order the same thing that often?

STELLA
I don’t mind. It makes my job easier.

DEVIN
Are you usually my waitress?

(STELLA raises an eyebrow and frowns)

STELLA
Yes… you didn’t notice?

DEVIN
I mean… I did… but not always…

(STELLA’s voice is colder)

STELLA
Always. So what will it be?

DEVIN
Um…

STELLA
I’ll come back.

(STELLA leaves. DEVIN turns the page to another sketch of the woman at the bus stop. This time it is him in the drawing with her standing together, her leaning on him - he lifts and lowers it, seeing her alone in reality but them together in the drawing. STELLA brings a latte)

STELLA
You always get the latte.

DEVIN
Thanks.

STELLA
Have you ever spoken to her?

DEVIN
What? Oh… no… I don’t know her…

STELLA
And you’ve been coming here this long… you’re a stalker!

DEVIN
No, I’m not.

STELLA
You totally are.

DEVIN
No, no, I’m not dangerous. I’m nothing to her. I’m barely even here.

(DEVIN sighs. STELLA looks concerned)

STELLA
The bus won’t be here for a few minutes. Let’s go meet her.

(STELLA tries to get him up)

DEVIN
No! What if she… I can’t…
This isn’t the right time.

(STELLA drops him back in his chair)

STELLA
Fine. I’ll be right back.

(STELLA heads outside and toward the woman at the bus stop. DEVIN freaks out. He stands and then sits and then stands and then sits and misses the chair, falls and pulls himself up in the chair again and tries to hide behind his sketchbook. Meanwhile, STELLA is talking to WOMAN and pointing at DEVIN. WOMAN smiles and laughs and waves at DEVIN when he peeks above the notebook and then hides again. The bus comes and WOMAN waves goodbye to DEVIN. STELLA comes back inside. DEVIN turns very red, slumps and his eyes narrow)

STELLA
So you want the bagel?

DEVIN
What did you do that for?

STELLA
I was trying to help.

DEVIN
I didn’t want help.

STELLA
Didn’t you want to meet her?

DEVIN
I… I liked the idea of meeting her.

STELLA
Wouldn’t the reality be better?

DEVIN
It never is.

STELLA
That’s the problem with you nerds. You’re so caught up in fantasy, you can’t even enjoy reality anymore.

DEVIN
Are you allowed to talk to customers like this?

STELLA
Some of you nerds are so stupid. You’re just nerdiots. Yeah, that’s what I’ll call you nerdiots.

DEVIN
Maybe I should talk to your manager or something.

STELLA
You wouldn’t know a good reality if it bit you on the ass.

(STELLA looks like she is going to yell but stops, calms herself and turns to go)

STELLA
I’ll get you a bagel. On me.

(STELLA exits. DEVIN sighs and watches her go. He turns to another page in his notebook and starts drawing. STELLA gets bagel ready and flashes back to her talk with WOMAN at the bus stop)

EXT. BUS STOP - DAY

STELLA
Hi, I’m Stella. I’m from the restaurant there. I know this is kind of weird, but I was wondering if you could do a quick favor for me. There’s this customer in there, my favorite customer. He comes every day. He’s a great guy and I wanted to do something nice for him.

(WOMAN looks at DEVIN)

WOMAN
Um… okay.

STELLA
Well, he’s an artist and he loves drawing people. That’s why he sits there… drawing people and he needs someone to wave at him to get the picture right. All you have to do is smile and laugh and wave.

WOMAN
Like this?

(WOMAN smiles and laughs and waves at DEVIN)

STELLA
Perfect. I really appreciate it.

WOMAN
You really like that guy don’t you?

STELLA
I do.

(BUS pulls up)

WOMAN
He’s not too nerdy for you?

STELLA
I kind of like them nerdy.

WOMAN
He’s a keeper then.

(WOMAN waves goodbye to DEVIN and exits - STELLA looks at DEVIN cowering behind his notebook and sighs, unable to hide her smile)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA returns to DEVIN with bagel. DEVIN looks at her with a fussy face, rips a page out of his notebook and slaps it face down on the table)

DEVIN
There’s your tip.

(DEVIN grabs his bagel and leaves. STELLA just stands there and watches him go sadly. She picks up the piece of paper and it is a sketch of her. The sketch of her looks like one that DEVIN had been drawing for awhile, but it has been altered to make her look like a wicked queen with horns, looking fierce and evil. This makes her burst into laughter)

STELLA
What a nerdiot.

(She carefully the paper and slips it into her apron)

EXT. BUS STOP - DAY

(WOMAN waits for her bus. STELLA standing in the window of the restaurant next to the empty table where DEVIN usually sits. DEVIN appears outside and runs up to the WOMAN)

DEVIN
Hi… uh… remember me.
I’m the guy from the restaurant.

(DEVIN points to the restaurant and STELLA realizes their looking and she pretends to clean the window)

WOMAN
You’re the friend of the waitress. The artist.

DEVIN
Friend? Uh… yes, I’m an artist.
I drew you this picture.

(DEVIN hands her a drawing he did of her in anime style, waving next to a sci fi looking bus. WOMAN smiles and takes it)

WOMAN
That’s really interesting. Thank you.

DEVIN
You’re welcome. I’m happy you like it.

(The bus arrives and she turns to get on)

DEVIN
My name’s Devin…

WOMAN
Nice, to meet you, Devin.

(WOMAN gets on the bus, stops and holds up the drawing and waves like it)

DEVIN
Bye!

(DEVIN gives a shy, silly wave. He grins and strolls to the restaurant)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA watches as DEVIN approaches. She gets his table ready. DEVIN walks in and sees her waiting at the table)

DEVIN
Hey, Stella. Guess what? I talked to her.
I gave her a drawing.

(STELLA speaks casually, almost uninterested)

STELLA
That’s exciting.

(DEVIN sits in his usual spot. He wipes his hands on a napkin)

DEVIN
I can’t believe I did it. I was so nervous.
I’m sweating like a pig.

(STELLA smirks at this)

STELLA
So what’s her name?

DEVIN
Her name… uh… I don’t know.
I told her my name but she didn’t tell me hers.

STELLA
Oh.

(STELLA raises an eyebrow at this. She’s sighs and smiles at him. Her tone becomes more friendly)

STELLA
No worries. That will keep things mysterious. I know you like that.

DEVIN
I guess. That’s not a bad sign is it?
That she didn’t tell me her name.

(STELLA shrugs)

STELLA
How should I know? You want your usual?

DEVIN
I’m going to do something different today.

STELLA
Breakfast sandwich?

DEVIN
No, really different.

STELLA
Are you sure? You end up not liking it
and ordering your usual anyway.

DEVIN
I’m sure… I want to try something new.

STELLA
I’ll get your latte.

DEVIN
No…

STELLA
Wow, this is a special day. No latte?

DEVIN
How about a cappuccino?

STELLA
Bold choice. Coming right up. Here’s a menu.

(STELLA hands DEVIN a menu and DEVIN looks at it with excitement)

DEVIN
What will it be today? What will be my new favorite?

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

(STELLA makes the cappuccino and watches DEVIN sadly from the kitchen. MARGE, the cook, walks over from the grill and joins her in watching DEVIN)

MARGE
Why so glum? Your favorite customer is here.

STELLA
He finally talked to her.

MARGE
Who? The woman at the bus stop?

STELLA
Yup. And I think I helped him do it.

MARGE
Oh, I see. You’re not so sure you wanted to help?

STELLA
I hoped he’d give up once she knew he was watching but instead he actually went and talked to her.

MARGE
Was she nice to him?

STELLA
Kind of… not really… but nice enough
to encourage him.

MARGE
Maybe you should encourage him too.

(STELLA shrugs and exits with the cappuccino)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA delivers the cappuccino. DEVIN looks up from the menu)

DEVIN
I will try the pancakes.

STELLA
Another bold choice.

DEVIN
Or the French toast.

(STELLA tries not to laugh)

STELLA
Okay.

DEVIN
Which you recommend?

STELLA
I would pick what you know you like, because you are happier when you go with something familiar. There’s nothing wrong with comfortable when it makes you happy.

(DEVIN looks at the menu again)

DEVIN
I’ll try the pancakes.

(STELLA sighs)

STELLA
Coming right up.

(DEVIN takes a drink of the cappuccino and frowns. STELLA smirks and heads for the kitchen)

DEVIN
Hey, Stella?

(STELLA stops but doesn’t turn to face him)

DEVIN
Thanks for helping me… with the woman at the bus stop.

(STELLA turns to him with a blank expression)

STELLA
No problem.

(She turns away again, but stops when he keeps talking)

DEVIN
I’m sorry I was a jerk about it. You were just trying to help and I wasn’t very nice to you. I feel bad about that. You’re a good friend. I shouldn’t have treated you that way, especially when you were just trying to do something nice. I realized that I don’t come here just to see her. I come her because I enjoy seeing you too.

(STELLA brightens as he speaks… then…)

DEVIN
Thanks for your friendship.

(STELLA’s expression darkens again and she goes to the kitchen. DEVIN watches her go)

EXT. BUS STOP - DAY

(WOMAN is waiting at the bus stop. DEVIN appears around the corner and waves at her. She reluctantly waves and rolls her eyes when she sees he is approaching her. DEVIN struggles with his bag, almost drops it and then produces a flyer to an anime convention)

DEVIN
Here. I wanted to give you this.

WOMAN
What is it?

DEVIN
It’s an anime convention that will be in town this weekend. I’m going to be there. I’m an artist and I will have a table there. I’ll be selling my art. And I’d love it if you’d come… you could come see me… you don’t have to buy anything. I’ll give you something for free even. In fact, I’ll give you a free pass to get in. I get a few free passes because I’m a vendor and you can have one. I don’t have anyone else there will me. Just me by my lonesome. You don’t have to come for long. Just long enough to say hi.

(The bus pulls up)

WOMAN
My bus is here.

(DEVIN holds out the pass. She reluctantly takes it)

DEVIN
See you this weekend! Have a great Friday. TGIF!

(WOMAN disappears into the bus and he watches it go and stands there for a minute. STELLA cleans the window of the restaurant behind him. DEVIN turns and sees her and waves happily and heads inside)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

DEVIN
I did it. I invited her to the anime convention where I’m going to have a booth. I’m selling my art there. I even gave her a free pass. I hope she comes. Here’s a flyer. You should come too.

STELLA
No free pass for your pal?

DEVIN
Well… uh… no… I only had one extra.

STELLA
I’ll hang up your flyer. Maybe someone will want to go.

DEVIN
Um… ok… thanks.

(STELLA looks at the flyer)

STELLA
Why anime? Why don’t you draw something else? It all looks the same, like you’re all just copying each other.

DEVIN
If you don’t like it… maybe you shouldn’t come to the convention.

(DEVIN closes his art notebook and glares at her)

STELLA
I didn’t say I was coming.

(STELLA turns briskly and goes to the kitchen)

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

(STELLA makes a latte and looks at his flyer. She sighs and folds the flyer up and puts it in her apron)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA walks up to DEVIN’s table with the latte but he is gone. She goes up to the window to look for him up and down the street but he isn’t there. She sits at his table and sips the latte)

INT. CONVENTION CENTER - DAY

(Crowds filter through a convention center filled with anime themed booths. People dressed in anime costumes wander through the crowds and pose with people for pictures. DEVIN sits alone at his booth with his art on display. His booth is in a less crowded, less traveled part of the convention. No one stops to look. He looks at his watch and back and forth down the row of booths)

DEVIN
She’s not coming.

(Suddenly, STELLA appears at the end of the row. DEVIN’s eyes get big and he stands up and waves to her. STELLA smiles and goes up to him)

DEVIN
You came.

STELLA
I wanted to show support for my favorite customer.

DEVIN
Thanks.

(STELLA looks at his art)

STELLA
So how are things going?

DEVIN
Not great. I haven’t sold anything.

STELLA
Did… she come?

DEVIN
Who?

STELLA
What’s her name? The woman from the bus stop. I don’t even know her name.

DEVIN
I don’t know her name either… no… she didn’t come.

STELLA
Sorry.

DEVIN
What’s wrong with me?

STELLA
What do you mean?

DEVIN
Why am I so out of touch with reality? Look at me. I’m not good enough to be here. Nobody is buying anything. And… why didn’t I think that woman would like me? I’m not in her league at all.

STELLA
I’m sorry about that… I feel responsible for that.

DEVIN
You just trying to help. You’re the only one trying to help. You’re the only one coming here.

(STELLA picks up some art. It is a finished version of her as the wicked queen)

STELLA
You finished it. This one’s my favorite. I’ll buy it.

DEVIN
You can have it. That’s your next tip in advance.

STELLA
Thanks.

(DEVIN gets her a nice plastic cover for the picture and she looks at it happily. Then she looks at him. He’s looking glum. She puts her hand on his)

STELLA
What’s wrong, Devin?

DEVIN
What am I doing here? What did I do? I quit my job to become a full time artist. I thought I was ready. But… look… nothing…

(DEVIN stops, finding it hard to speak)

STELLA
Have you tried something different? Some other kind of art. You’re good at this, but it all kind of looks the same to me. What else can you do?

DEVIN
Nothing.

STELLA
I doubt that’s true.

(STELLA goes behind his table and sits)

STELLA
Draw me, but not anime. Draw me some other way.

DEVIN
Like what?

STELLA
Like how you’re feeling…

DEVIN
How I’m feeling…

(DEVIN starts sketching STELLA. He starts out blue with the background, but then looks at STELLA’s smile and selects red and she comes to life in the middle of the picture. The style is weird and rough but not anime. A couple stops and watches him)

GUY
That’s really cool looking.

GAL
Do you take commissions? Could you draw us?

(DEVIN looks at STELLA who smiles and nods excitedly)

DEVIN
Okay, sure…

(STELLA motions for the couple to come behind the table and she snags another chair from another booth. The couple sits and DEVIN stares at a new blank page for a second)

STELLA
Just feel it. Don’t overthink it. Don’t try to make it look like something else. Improvise. Have fun with it.

(STELLA starts to give him a shoulder rub and he relaxes. He starts drawing. Other people stop to watch)

OTHER
That looks cool.

STELLA
He takes commissions.

(STELLA gives out DEVIN’s card)

OTHER
Thanks!

(Time has passed and DEVIN gives the couple the picture. They smile and hug and give him some money)

GUY
Very cool.

GAL
I’ve never seen anything like it. Thanks again!

(DEVIN sits happily, pulls out a big cash box and puts the money in the empty box. He looks at STELLA and grins)

DEVIN
I really appreciate your help. This means a lot to me.

STELLA
I’m glad I could help.

DEVIN
More than you can imagine. But I have to ask… why are you helping me?

STELLA
Because I like you.

DEVIN
I’m lucky to have a friend like you.

STELLA
No, Devin. I like you, you nerdiot. The other kind of like you.

DEVIN
You mean… uh… I don’t know what you mean.

STELLA
Take off your steampunk blinders and take a good look around you. You’re so stuck in seeing things one way that you don’t know what’s really going on.

DEVIN
What is really going on?

STELLA
I’ll see you later, Devin.

DEVIN
You’re going?

STELLA
I am.

DEVIN
Thank you…

(STELLA waves and leaves. DEVIN takes off his glasses and looks at them confused, playing with the settings and lenses)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA looks at DEVIN’s usual table which is empty and then looks outside at the WOMAN at the bus stop. STELLA watches the WOMAN board the bus and leave. STELLA sighs and heads for the kitchen. The bell on the door to the restaurant jingles. STELLA turns and sees DEVIN. STELLA goes up to him as he sits)

STELLA
You’re late.

DEVIN
Why? You leaving for the day?

STELLA
No… I just thought you liked to… you know… check out the scenery.

(DEVIN looks into her eyes and smiles)

DEVIN
The scenery I want to check out is still here.

(STELLA blushes and looks away)

STELLA
Oh… uh… latte?

DEVIN
You make the best latte I’ve ever had.

STELLA
Thanks.

(STELLA goes to kitchen embarrassed)

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

(STELLA makes the latte. Her face appears flushed. MARGE goes over to her)

MARGE
You’re blushing like bride on her honeymoon. What did he say to you?

STELLA
He’s just being nice… for a change.

MARGE
And you like it.

STELLA
Shut up.

(STELLA shoots some steam at MARGE from the latte machine and MARGE yelps)

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

(STELLA goes up to table with latte)

DEVIN
I drew you again.

STELLA
With horns?

DEVIN
Of course.

(DEVIN pulls out a new picture but it’s not anime. It is STELLA as the evil queen with a knight bowing down to her)

STELLA
Are you the knight bowing down before his queen?

DEVIN
Do you want me to be?

(STELLA’s eyes narrow and she gives him a stern look)

STELLA
What’s going on here?

DEVIN
What do you mean?

STELLA
You’re being… nice to me… very nice.

DEVIN
Don’t you like it?

(STELLA tries to hide a smile that is struggling to break free of her frown)

STELLA
Maybe.

DEVIN
Stella. I’d like to see you.

STELLA
I’m right here.

DEVIN
I mean, more than here at your restaurant. I’d like to get you out of that uniform.

STELLA
What?!

DEVIN
I mean… get you into something more comfortable… I mean, non-working. You know… or fancy… or…

STELLA
Is that your weird way of asking me on a date?

DEVIN
It is.

STELLA
Okay.

DEVIN
Okay?

STELLA
Okay, I’ll go on a date with you.

DEVIN
You will?

STELLA
I will. But you better think of something good.

DEVIN
How about a movie?

STELLA
No.

DEVIN
Uh… shopping?

STELLA
No.

DEVIN
Ummm.

STELLA
I’ll go work on your breakfast and you give it some thought.

DEVIN
Thanks, Stella.

STELLA
What for?

DEVIN
For not giving up on me.

STELLA
You’re worth it.

END OF SCRIPT

Buy a low cost PDF at https://sellfy.com/p/ZkXQ/

Or purchase a Word document version: https://sellfy.com/p/Zj5D/

****************
COPYRIGHT
These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2019.

When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost the text online in any way).

Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps

If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:

https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/

This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.