Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"I WAS NEVER IMPORTANT" female solo stage script - Molly's monologue from play Holy Ground

"I WAS NEVER IMPORTANT"

This monologue is adapted from the play "Holy Ground" by D. M. Larson
ISBN-13: 978-1502875990

Book: 

PDF:









*****

(MOLLY has discovered that she has a special power that will help the other people who have taken refuge in a church during an apocalyptic event. She has never been a leader or a hero and is upset about having this new responsibility)


MOLLY
I wish I knew what that was all about...  What does this all have to do with me?  I never was important before.  I never was special. I'm not the most religious person.  I was in the church choir because I loved to sing.  I didn't really do much else.  I've lived a good enough life but nothing unique... nothing miraculous.  I don't know what to do.  I have no direction. How can I do something important when I don't even feel important. 

(She begins to feel anger and frustration)

I didn't chose this mission... I didn't ask God to make me a vessel or some tool.  I didn't chose this, God. I didn't ask for this. 

(Her anger turns to sadness.  She feels weak and tired)

I'm not strong enough.  I'll fail. 

(She is quiet a moment and is fighting back the tears. Suddenly she realizes that she can help someone very important to her.  This realization gives her new strength)

But if there is some way to help Turk... If I have the power to do that. I want to save him.

(The memories of the horrible evil they have been fighting come back to her and scare her)

He protected me... but he knew something was different... something was very wrong.  We tried to keep away from others... we didn't want anyone else to get hurt.  But he was injured... and I had to find help.

(She fights back her fear and focuses on saving Turk, the person she loves.  Strength and conviction are in her voice now.  She has overpowered her sadness and fear)

I have to do something... I can't stand by and let this happen to him... It was so horrible what happened to the others... I can't watch that happen to him too. I have to fight back.



END OF MONOLOGUE

Buy a low cost PDF of the monologue at https://sellfy.com/p/shus/
*****

This monologue is adapted from the following scene from the play "Holy Ground" ISBN-13: 978-1502875990

Book: 

PDF:

(They all back away from the door.  After a few moments Turk comes through the door but he looks only a little human and the rest of him is black and oozing)

MOLLY
Turk?

TURK
Come with me.

(Turks voice is raspy, almost like a loud whisper)

MOLLY
Where?

TURK
Come... we need to leave here.

MOLLY
And go where, Turk?  Where will we go?

TURK
Now.

(Turk moves toward Molly and she backs away.  Art steps in)

ART
Back off.

TURK
She's mine.

ART
Not anymore.

(Turk yells and lunges at Art.  Bea jumps up)

BEA
No!

(Turk freezes and moves back a bit startled.  Jude is close now and sprinkles holy water on him.  Turk screams and knocks Jude to the ground.  Delia goes to Jude and pulls him away)

BEA (Cont.)
Speak creature!  Speak the truth!

(Turk's voice is forceful)

TURK
I've come to speak for the evil.  

(Turk's voice returns to the whisper)

Turk (CONT.)
I've come to warn you.  You are not safe here anymore.  

(Turk's voice is forceful again)

TURK (CONT.)
We grow stronger and you are weak.  

DELIA
It's like he's talking in two voices.

MOLLY
He's struggling.  He's fighting it.

ART
How?  No one has before.

(Bea moves a little closer)

BEA
What do you want?

(Turk's voice is a whisper)

TURK
Molly.

(Turk's voice is forceful)

TURK (CONT.)
Molly!

MOLLY
Why Turk?  Why me?

(Turk's voice is a whisper)

TURK
I need your help.

(Turk's voice is forceful)

TURK (CONT.)
I need your strength.

MOLLY
I can't go out there.  They'd hurt me.

TURK
(Whisper)
Please.

TURK (CONT.)
(Forceful)
You must.

BEA
Tell us why!

TURK
(Forceful)
She is the one.  She is the reason.  She is the beginning and the end.  Alpha and Omega.  Yin and Yang.  She will bring balance.
Turk has moved closer to Molly and she is almost in a trance and doesn't move.  Art steps in with his gun pointed at Turk.

ART
Back off.

(Turk grabs the gun and sticks it at his head)

TURK
(Whisper)
Do it. Do it. Do it. Now. Please.

(Molly pulls Art back)

MOLLY
No, Art. Please... no.

BEA
Go!

(Turk growls and heads for the door.  He turns one more time and looks at Molly)

BEA (CONT.)
In the name of the Lord our God, leave this place!

(Turk is gone.  Bea starts to fall and Art helps her down.  She is out of it again.  Delia struggles to get Jude to the front.)

ART
What is going on?

MOLLY
Turk was struggling... he was fighting it.

ART
And you're the key.

DELIA
I need some help here.

(Art and Molly go up to Delia and Jude)

ART
How bad is he hurt?

DELIA
No clue.

MOLLY
I'll check him.

(Molly examines Jude and Art goes to Bea)

ART
Bea... Bea?  It's like someone else is speaking through her.

(Jude tries to sit up)

JUDE
He didn't hit me that hard.

MOLLY
Looks like he did to me.

JUDE
I played football for Norte Dame... I can take a few hits.
Jude starts to get up and then stumbles.

MOLLY
I think that was a few years ago.

JUDE
A bit more than a few.  I'll sit.

MOLLY
I wish I knew what that was all about...  What does this all have to do with me?  I never was important before.  I never was special. I'm not the most religious person.  I was in the church choir because I loved to sing.  I didn't really do much else.  I've lived a good enough life but nothing unique... nothing miraculous.  I don't know what to do.  I have no direction. How can I do something important when I don't even feel important. I didn't chose this mission... I didn't ask God to make me a vessel or some tool.  I didn't chose this, God. I didn't ask for this.

JUDE
You may not have chosen God but God chose you.

MOLLY
I'm not strong enough.  I'll fail.

JUDE
You can't... 

MOLLY
That's too much pressure.  I've never been good under pressure.

DELIA
Then get good fast because they're getting louder out there.

ART
What's going on?

(Delia grabs Art's gun)

DELIA
I'll be happy to find out.  

(Delia goes outside and yells)

DELIA (CONT.)
What's up, devil's spawn?

(She fires a bunch of shots at them.  Art runs to the door)

ART
Get back in here.  That's a waste of bullets.

(Delia reenters)

DELIA
Oh but it felt so good.

***

Selection from “Holy Ground” ISBN-13: 978-1502875990


PDF: 
https://sellfy.com/p/XFgQ/

Free preview of the entire play of "Holy Ground" at http://www.freedrama.net/holygrnd.html


Find more monologues at http://www.freedrama.net/small1.html


Find more dramatic monologues at http://www.freedrama.net/small1d.html


Find more female monologues at http://www.freedrama.net/small1f.html

"I WAS NEVER IMPORTANT" female solo stage script - Molly's monologue from play Holy Ground

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.