Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Mystery of the Gangster Ghost Part 6 Seeing Beyond with Maya Fantasma

MYSTERY OF THE GANGSTER GHOST


ACT 1 SCENE 5 - SEEING BEYOND WITH MAYA FANTASMA


(Curtain opens and on the stage is simple with a chair and a

backdrop. The backdrop is a large display with writing on it

saying Seeing Beyond with Maya Fantasma. The lights show

dimly on the backdrop giving it an eerie appearance. JAQUE

and VERA are in the audience sitting near the DR corner of

the stage. The light suddenly gets very bright then a

blackout. Spooky music plays. There is a ghostly sounding

ANNOUNCER. MAYA enters in the darkness as the ANNOUNCER

speaks)



ANNOUNCER

Welcome to Seeing Beyond with Maya

Fantasma. All you are about to see

is real. There are no tricks, no

games, no acting involved. Maya

Fantasma can really speak with the dead.


(Lights slowly come on. MAYA is in her seat, ready)


MAYA

Hello, I’m Maya Fantasma. It’s a

pleasure to be here tonight. The

spiritual activity here is intense.

If there are times when I appear to

be strained or overwhelmed please

bare with me. Occasionally, the

spirits are anxious to speak and

their essences overpower me.

Tonight will be one of those nights.

(She stands dramatically)

Let’s get started.

(She goes up to one audience member DL)

I feel drawn here. Something has

brought me to you. I see someone

about your height, though slightly

shorter, wishing to talk to you. He

has the same color hair as you.


(Waves her hand at audience member)


No, don’t interrupt. Let me finish.

I must not disrupt the connection. 


(She closes her eyes a moment and touches the audience

members head)


He died from a blackening of the

chest, could be a heart attack...

could be a disease, it’s hard to see.

(She backs away)

Wait. He wishes to speak. The dead

speak in pictures, so I must

interpret them for you. He says you

always didn’t get along but he

still loves you. He says he is

sorry about the time he tipped over

the outhouse with you inside.


(Looks at audience member)


Could this be your brother or

cousin or something?


(The audience member says no most likely)

Maybe your father? Grandfather? Uncle?


(No positive response)


Well, this spirit is sorry anyway.


(She quickly moves on to another audience member DC. As she

heads to another, she sees SADIE near JAQUE and VERA. SADIE

points at VERA excitedly)


SADIE

It’s her! It’s actually her! This

is that woman! Did you bring her

here to me? What’s she doing with

your friend? What is this all about?!


(MAYA tries to ignore her and continues)


MAYA

I sense another presence. She

wishes to speak to you. She has

gray hair and is slightly shorter.

She died peacefully, but you were

worried she didn’t. She...


(SADIE cries out in frustration. MAYA gives her a worried

look. JAQUE and VERA and rest of the actor audience don’t

notice SADIE)


MAYA (CONT.)

She wants you to know she is near

you always. She watches over your

children as well.



SADIE

Where does she come up with this

stuff? The ghost here is yours

truly... and I got a bone to pick

with this one. Over here, Ms. Fantasma.


(MAYA gives SADIE a worried look again then moves on)


MAYA

So many spirits trying to speak.


(SADIE jumps up excitedly and points to VERA)


SADIE

Me next! Over here!


MAYA

I sense another spirit.


(She goes L again)


SADIE

No, this way. Come on.


MAYA

Someone really wants to speak. I am

being drawn...


SADIE

Please. I’m dying to talk to her.


(MAYA speaks to an audience member)


MAYA

You lost a pet recently?


SADIE

A pet?! Oh come on. Let’s channel

some people.


(MAYA is on the verge of screaming at SADIE but controls herself)


MAYA

Within the last ten years you lost

this family pet? Twenty maybe? Thirty?


(Keeps going until she gets a positive response. If not, go

to a person nearby and try again)



MAYA (CONT.)

The pet wishes to let you know that

she is okay and is waiting for you.


SADIE

Maybe if I meow or bark or

something...


(Waves)

Come on, over here.


(SADIE starts barking, meowing, oinking)


MAYA

I must... I must, go.


SADIE

What are you scared of? Come on. Do your thing.


MAYA

Excuse me everyone. The spirits

grow to strong. I must break and meditate.

(Backs to exit)

I will return in a moment.


SADIE

She acts she saw a ghost or something.


(MAYA exits. VERA stands)


VERA

This is ridiculous. Let’s go. She’s

obviously a fake.


JAQUE

We still have time to kill before

our reservation at the Bee’s Knees.

I think it’s kind of funny.


VERA

I want to go... now. Something

weird is going on here.


SADIE

You bet it is, dumb dora.


(SADIE pokes VERA’S arm)


VERA

Ah! What was that?



JAQUE

Vera... take it easy. People are looking.


VERA

But I felt something poke me.


JAQUE

But there’s nobody there.


VERA

I felt it, I really did.


SADIE

So you can feel me, huh? Can you

hear me too?!


(SADIE pokes VERA again. VERA looks around but doesn’t see SADIE)


VERA

It just happened again. And this

time I thought I heard something.


JAQUE

Um... do you believe in ghosts?


VERA

There’s no such thing.


(VERA says this more to convince herself than JAQUE)


SADIE

Vera? Vera? Can you hear me?

(Screams)

Vera?!


VERA

Did you hear that? Sounds like

someone said my name. That’s

it. I’m leaving.


SADIE

You’re not getting out of here that easily.


(Sadie grabs Vera’s purse from under her chair and and hides

it under an audience members chair)


VERA

It’s gone!



JAQUE

What?


VERA

My purse is gone.


JAQUE

Maybe you left it in the bathroom.


(They exit. SADIE talks to audience as she retrieves purse

and places it in VERA’s chair)


SADIE

Have you ever looked all over the

house and tired to find your purse

or your car keys? Then suddenly you

find them in plain sight. Now you

know how this happens.


(MAYA peeks out, sees SADIE and disappears again)


SADIE (CONT.)

That’s it. I’m going to get her

back out here.


(SADIE runs up and back to where MAYA is. SADIE follows MAYA

back out on stage)


MAYA

I’m sorry, Sadie. It’s been a long

time since I’ve spoken to a spirit.

It overwhelmed me.


SADIE

Look, I need you because I heard

you’re the best. All the spirits

tell me if anyone can help me you can.


(MAYA pulls SADIE aside and does a stage whisper)


MAYA

I haven’t seen a ghost in ten

years. I’ve lost it.


SADIE

Obviously you haven’t. I’m here

aren’t I?


MAYA

Yes, yes you are.



SADIE

You channeled me the other night.

Please do it again. You helped

John, which I will be forever

thankful to you for. But I have

unfinished business too. I need you.


(Sees JAQUE and VERA returning)


SADIE (CONT.)

Here she is. Let’s do it.





Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.