Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Mystery of the Gangster Ghost Part 7 scene "She knows your secret" stage play script

MYSTERY OF THE GANGSTER GHOST

PART 7


VERA

There’s my purse. How did I miss that?


JAQUE

Shush doll, I think the show started again.


VERA

Let’s go. This is terrible. Terrible!


(VERA delivers the last word to the rest of the audience but

then MAYA blocks her exit)


MAYA

Halt!


VERA

Halt?


MAYA

There is someone here who wishes to speak to you.


VERA

Look, lady. I’m tired of the parlor

tricks okay. We’re leaving.


SADIE

Tell Vera I know her little secret.


MAYA

She knows your secret, Vera.


VERA

She knows my name?


MAYA

And this spirit knows your deepest,

darkest secret.


SADIE

Nice.


VERA

I’m out of here.


SADIE

Come on, Maya. Say my name. Don’t let her go.


MAYA

Her name is Sadie.


VERA

No... not her.


JAQUE

Who’s Sadie?


VERA

Nobody... not anymore.


SADIE

Because of you!


MAYA

What did you do, Vera?


VERA

This isn’t funny, Jaque. Please

get me away from here.


JAQUE

Who is Sadie? Why are you so afraid?


SADIE

Because she knows how I died.


MAYA

Vera knows how Sadie died.


JAQUE

Do you, Vera?


VERA

What’s going on? Are you on their

side too, Jaque? Why won’t you help me?



(SADIE and MAYA are getting in sync. At first Maya speaks a

little after VERA but then starts speaking at the same time)


SADIE

There is no help for you, Vera.


MAYA

There is no help for you, Vera.


VERA

Please... Jaque.


SADIE

There is no escaping your crimes.


MAYA

There is no escaping your crimes.


VERA

Crimes? I didn’t do anything wrong.


SADIE

Liar!


MAYA

Liar!


VERA

Honest... it wasn’t me. I saw it

happen but it wasn’t me. It was

one of the big guys. One of the

bosses. I swear.


SADIE

I still see the blood on your hands.


MAYA

I still see the blood on your hands.


(VERA looks at her hands fearfully)


SADIE

The guilt in your eyes.


MAYA

The guilt in your eyes.


SADIE

The look of death in your eyes.


MAYA

The look of death in your eyes.


VERA

Please. Have mercy on me. I am a

victim too. The bosses control our

lives. Make us slaves.


SADIE

Name the one who did this to me.


MAYA

Name the one who did this to me.


VERA

I can’t... then they’ll off me too.


(JAQUE gives MAYA a mad look)


JAQUE

Please, Maya. That’s enough. Not

in front of all these people okay?


SADIE

Please... make her confess. I must

know the name of my killer.


MAYA

That’s enough, spirit.


SADIE

No! Don’t do this to me. I’m so

close. You can’t let it end this way.


MAYA

It’s too much... too much for me.


SADIE

Don’t let her get away with

this. She’s a trickster. She’s

even tricking your friend, Jaque.


MAYA

What do you mean?


JAQUE

What did she say?


SADIE

Vera is cheating on him. She’s

about as loyal as Benedict Arnold.


MAYA

Really? Are you sure?


JAQUE

Tell me what she said.


MAYA

She said that Vera is cheating on you.


JAQUE

Is that true, Vera?


VERA

What? No! What’s the big

idea? Spreading lies and rumors like that.


SADIE

It’s not a lie. It’s true. She’s a

favorite of the Capones.


MAYA

This is crazy.


VERA

You’re telling me. Let’s go,

Jaque. I’m pleading with you. How

you watch her abuse me like this?

Haven’t you had enough?


JAQUE

It sounds like there is a whole lot

of funny business going on here.


SADIE

You said it, fella.


JAQUE

For some weird reason, the ghost

knows you, Vera...


SADIE

I do.


JAQUE

In fact, she thinks you had

something to do with her murder.


SADIE

That’s right.


JAQUE

And then she says you’re cheating on me.


SADIE

She is.


JAQUE

That leads me to believe one thing...


SADIE

Let her have it.


JAQUE

That this is all a cover up...


SADIE

Really?


JAQUE

For the fact Maya is jealous of you

and me, Vera.


MAYA

What?!


SADIE

No!


VERA

That’s right...


MAYA

Jaque! Have you gone mad?


SADIE

He’s possessed... and poisoned.


VERA

That’s the first smart thing I’ve

heard all night.


JAQUE

Are you just making this up,

Maya? Because you’re jealous of

Vera? You’ve known me for a long

time... we’re pretty close... but

not romantically close... are you

jealous because I have someone

besides you in my life? Do you

wish we had something instead so

you’re making all this stuff up

about her?


MAYA

There’s a ghost, right here,

telling me all this.


VERA

Or is there?


JAQUE

It’s okay, Maya. You can tell me the truth.


MAYA

I’m done... I can’t do this

anymore. I want to use my talent to

bring comfort to people, not

torment them.

(Waves hand at SADIE)

Spirit, be gone!


(MAYA waves her hand at SADIE and SADIE is pushed back by

some invisible force)


SADIE

Wait! No! Vera is poisoning you too.


MAYA

Away foul spirit.


SADIE

Foul? You’re calling me foul?


MAYA

Let this torment stop.


SADIE

It’s not me!


(SADIE rushes up and grabs MAYA)


MAYA AND SADIE

It’s Vera!


(MAYA pulls away from SADIE)


VERA

Oh, please. Give it up already.

You’re just a two bit fortune

teller who should never have taken

some acting classes.



JAQUE

Yes, Maya. Stop this now.


MAYA

Fine. I’ll go then. I can see that

I’m not wanted.


VERA

Good. Don’t let the portal to the

spiritual world hit you on the butt

on the way out.


MAYA

And you can explain to the audience

why they won’t be getting the rest

of their show tonight.


VERA

What?


(MAYA stops and holds her hand to her forehead dramatically)


MAYA

I predict everyone will demand a

full refund and you’ll have pay for

it out of your own pocket.


(MAYA exits. VERA looks at audience)


VERA

The audience wouldn’t do that,

would they?


(SADIE goes up to VERA and pokes her. VERA tries not to

react but is scared)


SADIE

She’s the reason I’m stuck. She’s

the reason I can’t move on.


JAQUE

I should really talk to Maya.


VERA

Talk to her, Jaque and you’re done

talking to me. We’re leaving this instant.


JAQUE

But...


VERA

Now!


(VERA drags JAQUE out)


SADIE

This isn’t over Vera. This is far

from over.


END OF SCENE

(Curtain closes)


Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.