Friday, September 19, 2014

"Fight the Machine" free short play scene for 2 actors (1 male 1 female)

A man and woman meet for the first time at a protest and fall in love.

This scene is from "My William Shatner Man Crush"  ISBN-13: 978-1505910155
Book:
PDF: 


*****************

FIGHT THE MACHINE by D. M. Larson

A woman, the Jane, is protesting outside a building with a "PP" on the wall.

A man, the Michael, approaches with a bag of computer stuff.  He can have a shirt with the business name like "Computer Cowboys" or some such dorky name. She steps in his way when he approaches.  He tries to counter and she counters.

MICHAEL
Um... I... uh... have to go...

JANE
Go PP?

MICHAEL
No... uh... inside.

JANE
No one is going inside.

MICHAEL
Why not?

JANE
I'm protesting this place.  What they are doing in there is wrong?

MICHAEL
Really?

JANE
Yeah... don't you read the news?

MICHAEL
Sometimes... I have this app on my phone, but I never seem to know anything but celebrity news.  I know all about upcoming movies and such... but I miss out on stuff like earthquakes and plagues and such. I really need a new app.

JANE
Definitely.

MICHAEL
But I'm not a client.  I just am here to fix their computers.

JANE
I can't allow that either. If I stop their computers, then I stop them.

MICHAEL
Well, I don't know if the computer system will cripple them... although it seems like everything needs a computer these days.  Even things like plumbing... even the plumbers are getting these little gadgets that you sign to pay the bill. I never like to touch plumber stuff though so it's really hard to sign it.

JANE
So I stop you... then I stop them.

MICHAEL
I guess... kind of.

JANE
So... stop.

MICHAEL
I'm stopping... now what?

JANE
I'm not sure... no one ever stops.

MICHAEL
So they just kind of push past you?

JANE
They say mean things usually and I get discouraged.

MICHAEL
Really?  People can be such jerks sometimes.

JANE
They won't even listen... at least they could take one of my brochures and keep an open mind.

MICHAEL
I'll take one.

JANE
Really?

MICHAEL
Sure.

Jane gets excited and gives him a brochure.

MICHAEL (CONT.)
Oh wow...

JANE
What?

MICHAEL
This is the coolest looking brochure I've ever seen.  I mean look at this artwork.  Who did this?

JANE
I did... each one is hand drawn... a unique piece of art from my soul.

(Michael looks at more than one)

MICHAEL
You're really good.

(Jane is embarrassed)

JANE
Stop looking at my art and read what it's about... look at what this place is doing.

MICHAEL
That is kind of bad.

JANE
Kind of?  More than kind of.

MICHAEL
I didn't know they did this kind of thing.

JANE
Doesn't it matter to you who you're helping?

MICHAEL
I just do my job... I don't really think about what a business might be doing... what they're mission is.

JANE
It doesn't bother you that you're helping a place do something bad like this?  Or you one of these people who think this isn't bad?

MICHAEL
I agree... it's bad... I've always thought so... I'm one of those people who think hurting any living thing is wrong... I'm anti-anything that harms the living... people or animals. 

JANE
You're all right, man. 

MICHAEL
Thanks.

JANE
Peace.

MICHAEL
Peace.

JANE
You might be the first person I've stopped... and enlightened.  How does it feel?

MICHAEL
Huh?

JANE
To be enlightened?

MICHAEL
Not sure... kind of confusing.

JANE
Talk to me about it.

MICHAEL
Uh... really?

JANE
Yeah.

MICHAEL
Well... I have a job to do... but now I don't want to do it... and I'm wondering if I'll get fired if I don't.

JANE
Oh, man... that's heavy.

MICHAEL
You've really embraced the hippy thing huh? 

JANE
Darn tootin.'

MICHAEL
But you're younger than me.  And I'm not old enough to be a hippy.

JANE
You're never too young to be a hippy... well, a flower child... I'm not in to the drugs and free love thing.

MICHAEL
Why not?  I mean... that's good... I mean... drugs are bad.

JANE
Free love ain't good either... love shouldn't be free for the taking by anyone.  It should be about finding that perfect person... that single soul mate in this universe you were made for.

MICHAEL
Oh, so you mean like one person you love... not lots of people.

JANE
Exactly.

MICHAEL
That would be nice.

JANE
What?

MICHAEL
Finding that person.

JANE
Yeah... finding that perfect match... the one who will be the yin to your yang... the balance to your force.

MICHAEL

Oh... Star Wars?  You a fan?

JANE
I've seen it enough... my brothers watched it over and over so many times I have it memorized.

MICHAEL
I'm a bit of a sci fi nut myself.

JANE
You're a computer guy... I kind of figured.

MICHAEL
A guess that is a bit cliche'.  And I supposed you like the movie the "Notebook"...

JANE
What's cliche' about the Notebook?

MICHAEL
Seems like chicks always like the Notebook.

JANE
That's not true.

(She gets annoyed and turns away, crossing her arms)

MICHAEL
I was just joking.

JANE
Oh.

MICHAEL
Well... I guess I better go back to work and get fired or something.

(He starts to go slowly)

JANE
Oh, man.  I don't want you to get fired.

MICHAEL
But you're right. They are doing bad stuff in there.

JANE
But I don't want you to lose your job. I'd feel terrible.

MICHAEL
It's okay... I hate my job.  I never wanted to be computer guy.

JANE
What do you want to be?

MICHAEL
A writer.

JANE
What kind?

MICHAEL
I write sci fi... and superhero stories.  I know... cliche'.

JANE
I kind of like superhero stuff actually.

MICHAEL
Really?

JANE
Who's your favorite hero?

MICHAEL
Oddly it's one no one ever heard of... but I have every comic... I loved the series... it's called ROM... it's about a robot alien who comes to earth to save humanity from these creatures that possess them.  But he's all misunderstood and such because people think he's hurting people by destroying the alien demons inside them.

JANE
Wow, that sounds cool.  I've never heard of him before. 

MICHAEL
Hardly anyone has. But I want to write something that cool... I want my work to have something to say... even if not a lot of people read it... I still want to say something good... and important.

JANE
Right on, man.

MICHAEL
Who's your favorite superhero?

JANE
I hate to say... yours is way cooler.

MICHAEL
Come on... tell me... I'm curious.

JANE
I know everyone likes them but X-Men... I can't get enough of the X-Men.  I especially like Rogue... I like how she can touch people and take their powers.

(Jane grabs the Michael's hand.  He is startled but doesn't pull away.  He likes it)

MICHAEL
I thought Rogue's touch could destroy a person.

(She looks at him)

JANE
You look okay... feel okay?

MICHAEL
I feel a little funny.

JANE
Don't die on my now.

(She hugs his hand and then lets go)

JANE
Did I steal any of your powers?

MICHAEL
I'm not sure... know anything about computers?

JANE
Not more than before. And I already play most those games you know.

MICHAEL
What makes you think I am a gamer?

JANE
Don't all guys like you play video games?

MICHAEL
Guys like me?

JANE
Cute computer guys?

MICHAEL
Cute?

JANE
Yeah, you're kind of cute.

MICHAEL
Oh...

JANE
You didn't know that you're cute?

MICHAEL
Well... uh... I didn't... I mean... I don't think...

JANE
Geez... you just got cuter.

MICHAEL
Stop that.

JANE
I can't call you cute?

MICHAEL
Not... here...

JANE
Where?

MICHAEL
I don't know.

JANE
You're blushing.

(She takes his hand.  He looks around nervously)

JANE (CONT.)
Does holding your hand make you nervous?

MICHAEL
I don't know.

JANE
Want me to stop?

MICHAEL
I don't know.

JANE
Geez... stop being so cute.

MICHAEL
Okay.

(She looks at his hands)

JANE
So what games have you played?

MICHAEL
Nothing recent... except Angry Birds. 

JANE
Everyone has played Angry Birds.

MICHAEL
Angry Birds Star Wars.

JANE
Okay... not that one.

MICHAEL
I'm from the old school of gaming... I've even played Pong. I love arcade games... going to the arcade with a bag of quarters.  Something about standing there... losing tons of quarters... seeing how long you could make a quarter last. Quarters made it exciting... made it a challenge... made you play harder... and I loved watching people play too... I would have had fun watching you play.

JANE
Watching me?  That's creepy.

MICHAEL
I'm sorry.

JANE
Creepy in a cute sort of way.

MICHAEL
Don't you think that's true though... that playing at home is missing something... it's so much cooler playing when people can see you do it... like a performance art... and it's a community... arcades were a community for people like me.

JANE
Like us... I liked them too.  I'm just old enough to see them die out.

MICHAEL
I still hunt around for arcades... stuck in corners of bowling alleys and pizza places. 

JANE
Pizza and video games... a match made in heaven.

MICHAEL
Oh, yeah... you're telling me.

(They smiles at each other shyly and then are quiet.  She moves closer to him and holds his hand again)

JANE
So... what you gonna do?

MICHAEL
Actually... I could take down their entire computer system.

JANE
Really?

MICHAEL
I could plant a virus... one that would clear their entire system... all their client lists... all their schedules and appointments.

JANE
That could shut them down... not forever but it's a start. I'd love you forever if you did that.

MICHAEL
Oh... well... I... uh...

JANE
Do it... please.

MICHAEL
I've never done anything bad like this before.

JANE
It's not bad... it's good... really good.  What they do is bad. So very very bad.

MICHAEL
My first act of social protest...

JANE
Making a difference.

MICHAEL
Fighting the machine.

JANE
Fight the machine, man.

MICHAEL
I'll make it look like I fixed everything and then tonight the virus can kick in.  Even if they don't trace it back to me, I still might get fired... but I don't really care anymore. It would be a blessing in disguise.  I have some savings... I could write for awhile.  Maybe I could do a comic... you could illustrate... you're good.

JANE
Not that good.

MICHAEL
Best artist I've ever met.

JANE
How many artists have you met?

MICHAEL
A few.

JANE
Liar.

MICHAEL
So... should I do it?

JANE
Yes... please... and we're go have pizza after... I know a place that has these video games in the tables.

MICHAEL
I love those... it's a date... I mean... it's a...

(She takes his hands again)

JANE
It's a date.

MICHAEL
Okay.

JANE
Go get 'em... make me proud, cutie.

MICHAEL
Fight the machine.

(She gives him a kiss on the cheek)

JANE
For good luck... for a good man.

MICHAEL
Am I good?

JANE
The best.

MICHAEL
Here goes.

JANE
You're a hero today... fighting for life.

MICHAEL
May the living triumph over the machine.

JANE
Yeah, man!

(He goes inside)

JANE (CONT.)
Groovy.

END OF PLAY

********

This scene is from "My William Shatner Man Crush"  ISBN-13: 978-1505910155
Book:
PDF: 


Find more scenes for two actors at: http://www.freedrama.net/small2.html

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.