Tuesday, September 5, 2017

"Cut Off from the World" acting duologue for two actors

"CUT OFF FROM THE WORLD" by D. M. Larson 

This scene is for 2 actors adapted from a monologue by the same name from the play "The Bullied, Bungled and Botched" ISBN-13: 978-1518661082



(MOIRA runs over to her sister, HARMONY, and shows her something on her laptop)

MOIRA: Look at what they're saying about me! 

HARMONY: Who is saying what about you?

MOIRA: It's all over TwitFace! Everyone at school is seeing it. 

HARMONY: I don't think everyone is seeing it.

MOIRA: You see how many likes it's getting! 

(MOIRA gives HARMONY her laptop)

HARMONY: Oh, dear. That's not good.

MOIRA: I hate TwitFace! It’s ruining my life! I can't go back to school tomorrow. I can't face everyone after what they said. 

(HARMONY is doing something on MOIRA's computer)

MOIRA (CONT.): What are you doing? 

HARMONY: I'm helping you.

MOIRA: Don't deactivate my account! 

HARMONY: Too late. I already did.

MOIRA
Give me back my laptop! 

(HARMONY won't give back the laptop)

HARMONY: I'm cutting you off. You need a break.

(HARMONY holds up laptop with one hand)

MOIRA: Stop, you're going to break it! 

(MOIRA grabs HARMONY's arm and the laptop falls and hits the ground)

HARMONY: Ooops.

(MOIRA goes to the laptop like it is a dead baby animal that she loves)

MOIRA: It broke. 

HARMONY: So sad.

(MOIRA angrily clutches the laptop to her chest)

MOIRA: You broke my laptop. 

HARMONY: It had to be done. You've got a problem. You need some time offline in the real world. It's making you crazy)

(MOIRA has a crazed look on her face)

MOIRA: Where's my phone? 

(HARMONY spots it and grabs it first)

HARMONY: No phones either.

(HARMONY takes out the battery)

MOIRA: Give me my phone! Don't take out the battery. 

HARMONY: I'll just keep this somewhere safe until you come back to reality for awhile.

MOIRA: What are you doing with the battery! Put my phone back together! You're breaking it! 
(HARMONY accidentally breaks the phone)

HARMONY: Ooops.

(MOIRA snatches the pieces of the phone away from HARMONY. She falls the floor dramatically. She sniffles)

MOIRA: I'm cut off from the world... 

(She cries and throws a tantrum. After a few minutes of an epic tantrum. HARMONY ignores her and reads a book or draws something. Then MOIRA gathers the pieces of her broken devices and cries quietly while holding them. Then after a long pause she suddenly looks a little relieved) 

MOIRA:  I'm cut off from the world. 

(Long pause - she looks around. She goes and sits by HARMONY. Then she leans on HARMONY and then they hug) 

HARMONY: You'll be okay. I'll get you through this. Sometimes it's good to take a break from the trolls and the bullies and live in this world again. That other world isn't a safe one for you anymore. I don't like seeing what it did to you. It makes you so sad, so that's why it had to stop. I'm here for you. What would you like to do?

MOIRA: Wanna play a board game or something? 

HARMONY: That would be fun. I think we still have the Game of Life. Or Risk. We used to play Risk all night sometimes.

(MOIRA pantomimes opening a curtain and the light hurts her eyes for a second. Then she looks out the window [which can be the audience])

MOIRA: Hey look, we still have that tire swing in the back yard. Remember how we used to spin each other until we got so dizzy we couldn't walk? I loved that feeling. I wish I could feel that way again… not just dizzy, but… I don’t know… carefree? Things get so much more complicated when you get older. 

HARMONY: Let's go give it a spin.

MOIRA: Okay!

(They exit)


 END OF SCENE

BUY A PDF OF THE SCENE AT
https://sellfy.com/p/xnwh/


Low Cost PDF of 
"The Bullied, Bungled and Botched" at




Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.