Monday, January 13, 2020

"The Cinnamon Roll of Happiness" short script for 4 actors

"The Cinnamon Roll of Happiness" short script for 4 actors by D. M. Larson


(JAMES is a homeless looking man sitting at a table in an outdoor cafe eating some food)


HOST: What are you doing?


JAMES: Eating.


HOST: This isn’t your table.


JAMES: It isn’t?


HOST: No. You’re eating someone else’s food.


JAMES: They were done. They left. Here is the signed receipt. They left a nice tip.


HOST: How generous. Now, leave.


JAMES: What will you do with all this food?


HOST: Throw it in the trash. You can find it there later.


JAMES: I’d rather eat it now.


HOST: I’d rather you didn’t.


JAMES: Waste not, want not.


HOST: Must I get security?


JAMES: Look, I can pay. I have money. I can order something.


(JAMES waves to waitress)


WAITRESS: How can I help you?


HOST: You can’t.


WAITRESS: Something wrong?


JAMES: I’d like to order one of those super healthy juices… the green superfood one.


WAITRESS: Coming right up.


(WAITRESS goes and HOST is frustrated)


HOST: No, it is not coming right up. You need to leave. 


JAMES: What’s your problem?


HOST: Someone has reserved this table already.


JAMES: There’s other tables.


HOST: Not like this one.


JAMES: It does have a nice view.


HOST: The best view. That’s why I need it immediately.


JAMES: Very relaxing.


HOST: And highly desired by some of our most elite clients.


JAMES: You got someone pretty special wanting this table, eh?


HOST: Indeed... so will you please move.


JAMES: After I get my juice.


(WAITRESS comes in with a green drink. She has one hand behind her back)


WAITRESS: Here you go.


(HOST snags the drink)


HOST: No, no, no. 


(HOST exits with drink. WAITRESS reveals another drink
from behind her back and gives it to JAMES)


WAITRESS: I thought he might do that. That was a decoy. Here’s your drink.


JAMES: Thank you so much.


WAITRESS: Anything else?


JAMES: How about one of your famous cinnamon rolls?


WAITRESS: Warmed up?


JAMES: With butter.


WAITRESS: Of course.


(WAITRESS exits and HOST enters with SECURITY)


HOST: Remove the vagabond please.


(HOST does a snotty look and gesture at JAMES and goes)


SECURITY: Come on, let’s go.


JAMES: Have you ever had the cinnamon rolls here?


SECURITY: No, I’m not allowed to eat on the job.
And they don’t have an employee discount or anything.
I can’t really afford the food here.


JAMES: The cinnamon rolls are amazing.


(WAITRESS brings one out)


WAITRESS: Here you go. Nice and warm with extra butter.


JAMES: Amazing. Can you bring me another one?


WAITRESS: Sure. Coming right up.


(WAITRESS exits)


JAMES: Here, try it.


(SECURITY looks off stage nervously)


SECURITY: Um, I don’t know.


JAMES: If you try it, then I will come with you peacefully.


SECURITY: That sounds reasonable.


(JAMES gives SECURITY a fork. SECURITY sits down
and takes a bite and gets a look of delight)


SECURITY: That is amazing.


JAMES: I know!


SECURITY: It melts in your mouth.


JAMES: Incredible isn’t it? Try some more. 


SECURITY: Oh, wow. I’ve always smelled them cooking these.
I’ve always wondered how good they might be. This is better than I imagined.


JAMES: Have the rest. 


SECURITY: We better hurry.


(WAITRESS enters with box)


WAITRESS: I thought I better make this one to go.
Someone is looking a little angry back there.


JAMES: Good thinking. Thank you. Keep the change.


(JAMES gives WAITRESS a wad of money)


WAITRESS: I don’t mind getting you change. 


JAMES: No need


WAITRESS: Are you sure?


JAMES: More than sure. You all work so hard here and made
my day so much happier. I’m happy to do something in return. 


WAITRESS: I hope it’s okay if I clear this table now.


JAMES: Of course. I’ll help.


WAITRESS: You don’t have to.


JAMES: I insist.


SECURITY: I’ll help too.


(They all work together and clear the table and exit.  HOST enters looking smug and satisfied)


HOST: Much better. 


(SECURITY enters still eating cinnamon roll. Stops when he sees HOST)


SECURITY: The vagrant has been removed from the premises.


HOST: Well, done. And his contraband has been recovered. That waitress needs to be fired.


(HOST prepares table for next guest)


SECURITY: Oh, no. You don’t need to do that. The vagrant paid for everything.


HOST: I doubt it.


SECURITY: I saw it with my own eyes. He even tipped the waitress.


HOST: With counterfeit money, I’ll bet. Or stolen money. 


SECURITY: As far as I can see, no crime was committed here.
Everyone cooperated. No one needs to be punished.


HOST: Look here, you two-bit rent-a-cop. We don’t pay you to have opinions.
I know what I saw and I know I am right. 


(HOST takes cinnamon roll)


HOST: Allow me to throw this in the trash for you.


SECURITY: No.


HOST: What?


SECURITY: This was a gift.


HOST (cont.): What are you talking about?


SECURITY: It was paid for and it was a gift… to me. And I like it.


(SECURITY lifts the fork slowly and defiantly, about to eat, stops,
sighs, and gives it up to HOST)


HOST: Good choice.


(HOST exits with cinnamon roll. WAITRESS enters with a box)


WAITRESS: That was brave what you did there, standing up for yourself like that)


SECURITY: Not quite. I backed down. 


WAITRESS: But you did speak up. That’s more than I can do.


SECURITY: Thanks.


WAITRESS: Here’s a little reward.


SECURITY: A cinnamon roll?


WAITRESS: I thought you might like another one.


SECURITY: Thanks.

WAITRESS: One good turn deserves another.

END OF SCENE

(This is a work in progress that goes with the following scene: https://freedramaplays.blogspot.com/2020/01/tongues-of-fire-short-script-for-3.html)
Buy a low cost PDF of the scene at https://sellfy.com/p/jqx9e7/
When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost the text online in any way).

Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps

Royalties only need to be paid when you profit from the performance of a Freedrama script or you repost the text of a script online: https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/




short script for 4 actors

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.