Saturday, November 4, 2017

Between Good and Evil Scene 5 stage play script by D. M. Larson Scene Blinded by the Knight

Between Good and Evil 

Scene 5

by D. M. Larson 

ISBN-13: 978-1502982308



or

Purchase a low cost PDF: https://sellfy.com/p/s3B1/

***
(Alien enters as Protecto helps June and Don off the stage)

ALIEN
Kindness is one of the greatest super powers.  A kind heart can make the world a better place for those around us.

SCENE: "Blinded by the Knight"

JOE - comic book store owner
ASHLEY - teen beauty queen
HOWARD - a nerdy guy who likes comics and Ashley
NINJA - a teen girl who doesn't like Ashley
DOC - a doctor (can be played by Alien)

(It is evening at a comic book store.  If an instant backdrop is possible, there can be several posters and novelties decorating this.  On wheels, a large cabinet with signs stating types of comics. The comics are facing away from the audience.  A Ninja pokes up from behind the cabinet and looks around. She sneaks around the book shelf and hides behind it (the audience can see her still).  Joe walks upstage of the book case.  She grabs a comic over the shelf with snakelike speed.  Joe stops and looks around but doesn't see anything and shrugs.  She sneaks away right behind him but he doesn't notice her)

(Alien speaks as Howard enters reading a comic book)  

ALIEN
There's this young man named Howard... he's a good kid... but he's shy and can't talk to girls.

(Ashley walks by Howard who gets all nervous and hides his face behind the comic book)

ALIEN (Cont.)
And there's a princess... well, she was always told she was a princess... and she got whatever she wanted.  She loves pretty things... 
(Ninja appears with something shiny like jewelry and dangles it by Ashley)

ASHLEY
Ooh! Shiny!

(Ashley whips out her credit card and grabs the jewel.  Ninja takes the card and goes.  Howard peeks over the comic at Ashley)

ALIEN
These two need to learn a lesson and a mysterious person, a hero of sorts, plans to give them a whole new outlook on life.  

(Alien exits.  Joe goes over to Ashley)  

JOE
You like kryptonite jewelry huh?

ASHLEY
As long as it is big and flashy, I like it lots.  Where's the little princess's room?

JOE
Back down the hall.  Look for the Supergirl poster.

ASHLEY
How come it is super-girl and then super-man?  Isn't that sexist?

JOE
Uh... sure.

ASHLEY
Well, stop doing that.

JOE
Yeah... I'll call my friends at DC comics right now and get them to change that.

ASHLEY
Good.  See, that's why I won the title Miss Politically Correct last year.

JOE
How many people were in that contest?  

ASHLEY
Doesn't matter.  The important thing is that the right person won.

(Ashley exits.  Howard rushes over to Joe and lowers his comic)

HOWARD
Is that who I think it is?

JOE
Yup, that's Ashley Anderson, beauty queen.  Miss Teen Walla Walla, Miss Pet Lover, Miss Apple Pie... She's been the Miss of everything I think.

HOWARD
What is she doing here?

JOE
She's here to do a photo shoot. She's endorsing the store and then we're endorsing her.  See, they think she is a sure thing to win Miss Washington this year and if she can win Miss America, then this sponsorship will be gold.  My online sales will skyrocket. And she gets someone to pay some of the bills.

HOWARD
But how?

JOE
She's my cousin.

HOWARD
You never told me that!

JOE
It's a family secret.  I'm rather embarrassed by her, but it might finally be useful to know her.

HOWARD
I've always wanted to talk to her.

JOE
You want to talk to any woman.  

(Ashley comes out and Howard lifts his comic and goes to hide. Joe goes to the front door and locks it)

JOE (cont.)
I better lock the door before the nerds start swarming.

ASHLEY
Ew... there's one now.  He's drooling on the window.

(Joe hands her some money)

JOE
Here's your money.  Be nice.

(Ashley smiles and waves and blows a kiss)

JOE (CONT.)
I think you just killed that one.

ASHLEY
Ready for the photo?

(Joe is looking around for the camera)  

JOE
In a hurry?  Big plans tonight?

ASHLEY
My big plans are to be some where else. Can we close the blinds or something? They're creeping me out.

(Joe motions to Howard who goes to close window blinds. If the nerds outside the door are not seen then Howard can pantomime closing blinds at the end of the stage facing the audience. If the window is at the side of the stage with actors playing the watching nerds, then a real blind can be used. Ninja puts camera near Joe unnoticed.  Joe finds it)



JOE
I want you wearing this sash and holding this comic book.

(Joe gives sash to Ashley)

ASHLEY
Miss All Knight?

JOE
It's the name of the store "All Knight Novelty."

ASHLEY
It sounds weird though.

JOE
And here is the comic.

ASHLEY
Ew!  I don't wanna hold that.  It's gross.

JOE
But she's where the store gets the name from... Knight Princess... she's a warrior princess.  I thought you liked princesses.

ASHLEY
But look at her outfit.  And what's she doing to that monster?

JOE
I believe she is ripping that zombie a new one.

ASHLEY
Ew!

JOE
I'll look for one with a better cover.

(Ninja sets out a comic and sprinkles something inside the bag holding the comic. Joe finds it)

JOE (CONT.)
Here we go.  She is all dressed up for her coronation.

(Joe sets up camera on tripod.  Ashley looks at comic)

ASHLEY
How can she fight in those clothes?  Guy always have tons of armor but the warrior women wear practically nothing to protect their bodies.

JOE
Good point.  I'll shoot off another email to my friends at DC comics.

ASHLEY
Ready?

JOE
Take the comic out of the bag. The plastic is making a weird reflection.  I'll be right back with another prop.  We need something else to make the picture pop.

(Joe exits.  Ashley opens bag and ninja sneaks up and smashes the end of it so the powder goes up in to Ashley's face.  She coughs violently as if she is going to die.  Joe runs back in and Howard cautiously approaches from his hiding spot)

JOE
What's going on?

HOWARD
I don't know.

ASHLEY
Something.. in the comic... my eyes!

JOE
What's wrong with your eyes?

ASHLEY
I can't see... it got in my eyes... I need help.

JOE
Wash it out with water.

HOWARD
I'll get some.

(Howard looks around)

ASHLEY
It hurts so bad.

JOE
Hang on... we'll wash it out.

(Howard finds some bottled water)

HOWARD
Here.

(Joe splashes water on Ashley's face)

ASHLEY
Hey!  Idiot!

JOE
That didn't help?

ASHLEY
No!  It still burns and I can't see.

JOE
I'll call 911.

ASHLEY
No, no, no.  The press would be all over it.  Get the family doctor.  He'll come if you get daddy to call him.

JOE
Fine.  I'll call.

ASHLEY
Don't leave me alone.

JOE
Howard is here.

ASHLEY
Howard?

JOE
Howard Rogers.  You know him from school.

ASHLEY
No.

JOE
Whatever... he's here... say "hi" Howard.

HOWARD
Hi.

ASHLEY
Thanks for being here to help, Howard.

(Joe gets out his cell phone and goes upstage to call)

ASHLEY (Cont.)
You're not that creepy guy outside that drooled on the window and fainted?

HOWARD
No.

ASHLEY
Oh, good.  So how come I don't remember you from school?  

HOWARD
I... I don't know.

ASHLEY
You're shy.  That's why.  I think that's so cute.

HOWARD
Oh...

ASHLEY
Take my hand please and lead me to a chair.

HOWARD
Sure.

(Howard looks very happy to be holding her hand.  He walks her to a chair - a spot with two chairs and a table)

JOE
Your dad wants me to go pick up the doctor so he gets here quicker... you okay?

ASHLEY
Howard will take good care of me.

(Joe gives Howard a thumbs up.  Howard smiles)

ASHLEY (CONT.)
Thanks so much for helping me, Howard.  I must look terrible.

HOWARD
No, you look... good.

ASHLEY
You're so sweet.  Could you get my purse for me?  I might have eye drops in there.  That could help.

(Ninja grabs her purse)

HOWARD
Do you remember where you left it?

ASHLEY
No.. silly me.. but I'm sure a smart guy like you can find it.

HOWARD
Okay...

(Howard searches around for purse as Ashley talks.  During the following, the ninja replaces eye drops with something different that is the same shape but has scary symbol - skull or Mr. Yuck sticker)

ASHLEY
It's nice having a guy around who is so helpful.  I could get used to having someone around who does things for me like this.  I don't mean like a servant but as my special little helper.  Especially if I'm blind now... you think I'll be blind forever?  I wonder if they have Miss Blind USA?  Or maybe I'd be a shoe-in for Miss America if I'm blind.  So this could be a blessing in disguise.  You could be up there on stage with me guiding me around... I wonder if that's against the rules... I could get a cute little guide dog.  People love animals too.  A blind girl with a dog.  I'd win for sure.  Still haven't found my purse?  I wonder where it went to.
(Ninja has new eye drops in purse.  She avoids Howard and sneaks over to put it next to Ashley)


ASHLEY (CONT.)
I hope Joe didn't take it.  I have no clue why he would but you never know.  You're such a good listener.  I like that.  Most the guys I hang out with just want to talk about themselves.  They love talking about their bodies and their muscles and how they work out all the time or how they won the big game doing a touch basket or a win down or some such stupidity.  Don't you hate it when someone always talks about themselves non-stop?

(Ninja wants to kill Ashley by strangling her but Howard turns to return and ninja hides.  Howard sees the purse.  He goes up and gets it)

HOWARD
I found it.

ASHLEY
Great!  I knew you could do it.  Now find my eye drops.

(Howard pulls weird silly things from her purse like bows, ribbons, makeup, little stuffed animals until he finds them)
  
HOWARD
This kind of looks like eye drops but...

(Ashley reaches out and Howard gives it to her)

ASHLEY
That feels right.

HOWARD
You sure?  It has...

ASHLEY
Of course I'm sure silly.  Now let's see if this helps my eyes.

(Ninja watches.  Ashley puts in the drops. Pause.  Ashley screams.  Ninja does a victory dance as Ashley jumps up and stumbles around in pain)

HOWARD
What happened?

ASHLEY
It burns!  My eyes are on fire!

(Ashley screams some more.  Ninja hides being center bookcase. Howard tries to grab her and calm her down but she keeps punching him and knocking him down.  They stumble in to center bookcase where ninja is and it falls on her. Joe and Doctor appear. NOTE: Doctor can be doubled with healing Alien from "Touched by an Alien" or with Alien narrator)

JOE
What happened?!

HOWARD
She put... she wanted...

ASHLEY
The pain!

JOE
Your doctor is here, Ashley.

(Ashley stops.  She sniffles and cries a bit still)

ASHLEY
Oh... good... help me, Doc.

DOC
Sit down, please, Miss Anderson.  I have something to clean out your eyes.

(They help her sit.  Doctor has some eye drops)

Ashley
Will it hurt?

DOC
Don't worry.  Head back.

(Doc puts in eye drops.  After a few moments, she blinks)

ASHLEY
I can see!

JOE
Thankfully that's over.

DOC
Home James.

JOE
Joe.

DOC
Whatever.

(Joe to Howard)

JOE
I bet he just made more in a minute than I make in a month.  You and Ashley good?

HOWARD
I think so.

JOE
Cool.  I'll take my time then.

(Doc and Joe leave.  Ashley gathers up her stuff from her purse)

HOWARD
Need any help?

ASHLEY
You helped so much, Howard.  Oh...

(Ashley sees Howard and is disappointed)

HOWARD
What's wrong?

ASHLEY
Well, uh... you're not quite like I imagined.

HOWARD
Oh... I see.

ASHLEY
You were very nice and helpful.  It was good to have your help.

HOWARD
Okay.

ASHLEY
I better go clean up.  I bet I'm a mess.

(Ashley goes back to bathroom.  Howard is sad and sits)

HOWARD
I can't believe it.  I'm finally brave enough to talk to a girl but when she sees what I look like...

(Ninja manages to pop her head out from under bookshelf)

NINJA
Blind dates rarely work out.

(Howard jumps up)

HOWARD
Who said that?

NINJA
Over here.  Under the bookshelf.

HOWARD
Are you okay?

NINJA
I think so... I may have hurt my ankle.

HOWARD
I'll get that off of you.

NINJA
No hurry.  I have plenty to read.

(Howard manages to lift the bookshelf)

NINJA (Cont.)
My knight in shining glasses.  Come to rescue me.  I hate being a damsel in distress.

(He helps ninja over to the chairs)

HOWARD
Let me see your leg.

NINJA
Here.

(She gives him her leg)

HOWARD
Where does it hurt?

NINJA
Oh, that's over here.

(She gives him her other leg)

HOWARD
We should wrap it in something.

NINJA
You can use my mask.

(Howard unwraps her mask.  They pause a moment looking at each other shyly)

HOWARD
Mindy?

NINJA
Hi.

HOWARD
You're a ninja.

NINJA
Ninja by night.  Nerd by day.

(Howard wraps her ankle)

HOWARD
You're not that nerdy.

NINJA
Not compared to you.

HOWARD
Thanks.

NINJA
I'm kidding.

HOWARD
I know I'm a nerd.

NINJA
But being a nerd is awesome.

HOWARD
It is?

NINJA
Yeah... all the rich and powerful people in the world are nerds.  Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg. Nerds rule.

HOWARD
And sports guy get all worn out and their bodies fall apart when they get old.

NINJA
And the rich nerds marry supermodels.

howard
If they're like Ashley, then forget it.

NINJA
They're all like Ashley.

HOWARD
She thought I was fine until she saw what I looked like.

(Ninja gets quiet)

NINJA
I think you look good.

HOWARD
What?

NINJA
Nothing.

HOWARD
You said something nice, didn't you?

NINJA
Maybe.

(They are quiet a moment)

HOWARD
So how come you're dressed as a ninja?

NINJA
There are a few precious places in this world unspoiled by people like Ashley and this store is one of those places.  I couldn't bare the thought of her ugly mug on a poster hanging in here next to these heroes.  The heroes on these walls fight for justice and the greater good.  To hang up some beauty pageant freak next to these symbols of greatest is an insult to all I believe in.

HOWARD
Wow... well said.

NINJA
I like talking to you, Howard.

HOWARD
I like you too... I mean talking... I would like to talk.

(Ninja laughs)

NINJA
Take it easy, Howard.

HOWARD
I'm an idiot.

NINJA
You're cute actually.

HOWARD
What?  No...

NINJA
Take me out for coffee or something.

HOWARD
When?

NINJA
Now.

HOWARD
Okay.

NINJA
Let me get my coat.

(Ninja runs to back of store.  Howard does a happy victory dance.  Ninja returns and he stops.  She laughs)

NINJA (CONT.)
Let's go.

(As they go...)

HOWARD
Is it okay if I get tea?  Coffee gives me the runs.

(Ninja laughs)

NINJA
Sure.

(After a moment, there is a knocking in the back)

ASHLEY
Hello?  Anyone out there?  Something is blocking the door and I can't get out.  Anyone?  Hello?  Help!

(Alien enters)

ALIEN
Well, Howard didn't get the princess but he did end up with the future designer of the Waggit, a new gadget that everybody will want to buy.  I'm not certain what it does but everyone will want it anyway.  Sometimes love is what makes us do a little extra and be a hero in the life of another.

(Alien is about to leave)

ASHLEY
What about me?

ALIEN
I nearly forgot.  So did Ashley learn her lesson?

ASHLEY
I hear voices.  Who's out there?

ALIEN
It's hard to say right now, but she has a long night ahead of her... maybe a light bulb moment will still happen to her.  Until then, she'll simply... be in the dark.

(Alien shuts off the lights by clapping his hands)

ASHLEY
Oh, come on!  You're kidding me right.  Let me out of here!

END OF SCENE


or

Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.