Saturday, November 4, 2017

Between Good and Evil Scene 6 stage play script by D. M. Larson scene Man of Metropolis

Between Good and Evil 

Scene 6

by D. M. Larson 

ISBN-13: 978-1502982308




or

Purchase a low cost PDF: https://sellfy.com/p/s3B1/

***
(Bookshelf is removed and replaces with a bench and large Superman statue or Superman mural on backdrop)

ALIEN
Love... a power that is difficult to control.  Maybe of us seek, some of find it unsure how to harness this amazing power and other lose it, leading to emptiness.  But we never stop searching for this special power that unites us even though it can also tear us apart.  What would you do to find this power inside you?  Would you give up everything and travel the world until you find it? How will your journey begin and end?

***
SCENE: "MAN OF METROPOLIS"
***
(Lo is standing by a Superman statue and/or Superman mural looking around at the surrounding town.  Actors and even dogs in Superman costumes can walk through the scene to start the show if extras are available.  She has a camera and takes random pictures from weird angles.  Kent has been watching Lo.  When she sits at a bench near the statue, she appears sad and stressed.  Kent moves in)

Kent 
Can I help you?  You look a bit lost.

Lo  
Is this Metropolis?

Kent 
The one and only.

Lo
I imagined something much bigger.

Kent
Everyone does.

Lo
Looks more like Smallville.

Kent
Superman fan?

Lo
Not really.
Kent
That's a first. I bet you are the first person to visit this town who isn't a fan.

Lo
No other reason to come here?

Kent
Nope.

Lo
So is Superman really from here?

Kent
So they say... Never met him though.. Well maybe I have.. Met a lot of guys dressed like him... But none of them raced bullets or trains. And nobody flew here.  We don't have an airport.

Lo
Huh?  Oh... Joke.

(Does a courtesy laugh but it's not convincing)

Kent 
My name's Kent by the way.

Lo
Kent?  As in Clark Kent?

Kent
If you are a male and born in this town, there is a good chance you'll be named Clark or Kent.

Lo
Oh dear... That has to be weird in school.

Kent
Kal is gaining in popularity though.

Lo
Kal?

Kent
For Kal-El... Superman's real name.

Lo
Is it required in this town to know all Superman facts or are you just a nerd?

Kent
You can't help know this stuff here.. It's everywhere... Menu items, street names, constant puns in the newspaper...

Lo
Does it get annoying?

Kent
Not really... It's kind of nice to have something that makes our town unique.  Something special to call our own... DC comics even made it official on January 21, 1972. Boring you?

Lo
Kind of.

Kent
Can I ask your name?

Lo
People call me Lo.

Kent
Lo?  Short for Lois?

Lo
Nope... That would too weird... although better than my real name... Lola.

Kent
It's a nice name.

Lo
If you say so.

Kent
So you're ok then? Need directions or anything?

Lo
This is where I was going.

Kent
But you're not a fan?

Lo
You bug all the tourists like this?

Kent
That's what we do in Metropolis... Bug tourists... Have to make sure that you're not some villain in disguise out to get Superman... (Lo looks away annoyed) Still not funny... I can take a hint... Have a good visit.

(He slowly goes hoping she will stop him)

Lo
Sorry... I didn't mean to be a pain.

(Kent returns happily)

Kent
You've been traveling... That makes people tired.  I understand.

Lo
I feel like an idiot.

Kent
Why?  A lot of people think Metropolis should be bigger... In fact our founding fathers thought our town would be a city one day being situated on a major river near the junction of four states...

Lo
Enough history okay?

Kent
Sorry... got it... Back to you... Where were we?

Lo
I'm an idiot?

Kent
That's right.  I'm listening.

Lo
Thanks.

Kent
Anytime... So why you feeling bad?

Lo
I came here because of a dream.

Kent
Really?

Lo
I had this dream about Metropolis... It was more like a city but this statue... It's exactly the same.

Kent
You ever see pictures?

Lo
Never.

Kent
Wild... So why come see it?

Lo
Because of something that happened in my dream... Something that happened at this statue that was pretty wonderful.  Something I'd really like more than anything.

Kent
What?

Lo
It will sound dumb.

Kent
Go ahead.  You can tell me.

Lo
I fell in love.

Kent
Really?  Under a Superman statue?

Lo
Under this statue.

Kent
You get a good look at the guy?

Lo
He had on a Superman shirt.

KENT
Plenty of those around here.. I have one... Didn't wear it today though... I can go put it on.

Lo
Slow down there, Flash... I don't think you're the guy.

Kent
Oh...

Lo
It can't be the first guy I run in to... That's too lucky... Sorry to hurt your feelings but I don't feel it.  The chemistry.  The dream had a whole lot of chemistry.  And an explosion.

(She gets lost in thought)

Kent
No worries. Maybe I can help. Tell me more about the dream.  Maybe I know the guy.

Lo
Not much more that I remember.  Oh wait.  He had on glasses too.

Kent
Glasses and superman shirt.  Anything else?

Lo
The other thing about the dream that was really odd was that I felt the urge to cash in my life savings too... Something told me I'd need it for this trip.

Kent
Your entire life savings.  Is there... in your purse?

Lo
Everything I have is right here.

(They are quiet a minute. Kent is looking at her and she looks away shyly.  Suddenly Kent grabs the purse and runs. Lo jumps up in shock)

Lo (cont.)
Hey! Wait a minute! Wh... what?!  No!  This isn't right!  I come to your stupid town and the first thing that happens is that I'm mugged?  First guy I meet and he's a con man.  Kent the con man.  Ah!  Why am I so stupid?  Don't talk to strangers.  Isn't that what you teach to kids, Superman?  Well, I blew it.  Blabbed to some random dude and he mugs me.  Why did I follow a dream?  I am an idiot. A stupid, dumb bubblehead.

(She plops down on a bench)

LO (CONT.)
I'm always a victim.  There's not enough heroes in this world.  Not enough Supermans.  Sure, there's bunches of you parading around in costumes, but there's not many real men of steel. Not any willing to take a bullet for me.

(She jumps up again)

LO (CONT.)
And you know what?!  My life savings was 50 bucks!  How's that for irony?  And my credit cards are maxed out!  Ha!  Jokes on you!

(Plops down on bench again)

LO (CONT.)
I just want my lucky key chain back.

(Simon, a guy in glasses and a button up shirt, enters with her purse)

Simon
Is this your purse?

(Lo is so stunned she doesn't know what to say)

Simon (CONT.)
I didn't mean to go through your purse but I needed to find an ID or something.  I found your driver's license.  It looks a bit like you... but you're... you're prettier in person.

Lo
Thank you!

(She runs up and hugs him)

Simon
Tough day?

(She lets go of him and nods)

Lo
Very... how did you find it?

Simon
I tripped the guy who was running away with it.

Lo
You did?

Simon
Kind of on accident.  I'm a bit of a klutz.  But I wouldn't give it back once I got it.  I've known Kent for a long time and when you see him with a purse, you know he's not headed to a superhero cross-dressing competition.

(Lo laughs)

Simon (cont.)
You have a nice laugh.

Lo
I hate my laugh.  I snort.

Simon
It's cute.

Lo
So, you from around here?

Simon
Kind of.  I work at the SuperMuseum.  I wasn't born here but I've lived here for a while.  I stumbled on this little town and fell in love with it.  I kept coming back until I didn't leave again.

Lo
Something just kind of drew you here.

Simon
Give me Metropolis over Chicago any day.

Lo
Chicago sucks.

Simon
And blows.

(They laugh)

Simon (cont.)
Want me to show you around?

Lo
Sure.  I'd like that.

(She takes his arm)

Simon
We'll do the walking tour.  I left my cape at home.

Lo
You wouldn't happen to have on a superman t-shirt would you?

(As they exit)

Simon
I do actually. Why?

Lo
No reason.

(She has a big smile)

END OF SCENE
(Alien enters and looks at the statue of Superman)

ALIEN
A mighty hero, from another world. He came to protect the people of Earth, but he easily could have come to conquer.  With his power, he could have enslaved an entire planet, yet he chose to come in peace and help the people who cared for him as a child.  It's a wonderful story of first contact, with an alien who loved Earth and changed the world forever.  But not all outsiders come in peace.  All bring change.  Earth has been alone in the universe too long.  At last, there will be first contact.  The moment that would change the lives of everyone on an entire planet forever.  Will it be for the better like the tale of Superman?  Or will be a tale of woe and destruction?  It may all come down to how we greet this first visitor from another world.  Do we extend the hand of kindness, like in the tale of this super man?  Do we comfort the lost child in a time of need?  Or do we react with fear and terror and turn this encounter in to something that will alter reality forever, leading us down a path into the unknown.


Copyright and Royalty

These scripts are published and protected by Copyright (c) 2001-2021.



When you purchase a PDF, you may make as many photocopies as needed (but please do NOT repost online in any way).



Purchasing a PDF of this script gives you the rights to use for:

Auditions

Classrooms

Workshops

Camps



If you use the script in a paid performance where admission is charged or in a competition, please pay the royalty:



https://sellfy.com/p/1MQC/



This royalty covers all performances that occur within one month’s time.



IMPORTANT: Please be sure to get permission from your competition for the script before performing it.